Surface Processing or similar - experience or other recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Charles Morgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes 250CE W114, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6
I've got a number of body panels that need a small amount of cosmetic rust removal and paint stripping (wings, boot lid, doors etc) and was thinking of using Surface Processing or similar for chemical stripping and treatment (the wings I'll then treat with seam sealant as they are known rot boxes.

Does anyone have any experience of so doing? I want to get the best foundation for the respray with the least amount of faff.

While the "baptism by total immersion" has its appeal, my reservation would be the unnecessary exposure of rust free steel to corrosive chemicals. While neutralisation of said corrosive chemicals HCl is said to occur as part of the treatment any residual chemical imbalance [ alkali] left could be harmful in the long term. I reckon even the manufacturers get this bit wrong from time to time. I note also phrases like- "any local high concentrations of rust may require physical removal before further treatment" . Ultimately its cost benefit analysis time where the extent of rust has to be balanced against cost and the benefits of a blanket versus precision approach to rust removal have to be considered. Can only be gauged by a visual inspecion of the panels involved I think. I feel car restoration should be undertaken using a balanced approach where money spent on certain aspects of the car should reflect the money spent on others. Pointless spending a large sums of money on pristine outer panels while making do and mend on body structure and trim for example would be my mantra . I don't mean skimp on anything by this --just a even approach appropriate to how you want the car to turn out.
Concours/no expense spared/ too precious to use v Sound, workman-like restoration [ perhaps always a work in progress?] you feel free to enjoy.:dk:

Last edited:
It's that or blasting or me do it! As always, depends upon the cost vs convenience. These guys were mentioned in the latest Club gazette and IIRC Jay has had stuff done there some years back.

Surface Processing is the place that everyone seems to use. Always a lot of old VW's down there...

I was very happy with their service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom