Surprising MPG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

1sttimer

Car
C63 Estate
Still running in the C63 Estate and just completed a trip on the weekend from NW London to Dorset. On the way down got 22mpg and on the way back 24. Fairly sensible driving but with a few hefty accelerations now and again. Will be interested to see whether I can exceed 24.

Still running in the C63 Estate and just completed a trip on the weekend from NW London to Dorset. On the way down got 22mpg and on the way back 24. Fairly sensible driving but with a few hefty accelerations now and again. Will be interested to see whether I can exceed 24.

In my opinion (whether c63 or any other car) the lost enjoyment for 'trying' to improve your mpg isn't worth the challenge. Enjoy driving, gaining an extra couple of mpgs isn't going to pay for anything else you want in life.

In my opinion (whether c63 or any other car) the lost enjoyment for 'trying' to improve your mpg isn't worth the challenge. Enjoy driving, gaining an extra couple of mpgs isn't going to pay for anything else you want in life.

Just interested in what you can get against what they tell you! I certainly won't let anything spoil the fun of driving it. Can't wait til it's run in then I'm sure I'll see far far less than double figures!

True, but this afternoon I worked out the cost difference of running a larger or smaller diesel engine in a car for me.
£750 per annum difference at current prices does make one think.

True, but this afternoon I worked out the cost difference of running a larger or smaller diesel engine in a car for me.

Probably over £2000 for me then :D

Probably over £2000 for me then :D

Easily. I can either go for economy and noise or refinement and less economy. I was surprised at how much extra the V6 is likely to cost.

That's pretty good.

I did a trip to Denmark and back in a Peugeot 406 TD and got a less than impressive 32mpg round trip.
There was a lot of pedal to the metal though.

4 cylinder, NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Don't do it.

Joking, i am in the exact same predicament. Rather than make the decision I just keep what I have going on and on and on and on.

10 years with the same car who would ever have thought eh?

4 cylinder, NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Don't do it.

Joking, i am in the exact same predicament. Rather than make the decision I just keep what I have going on and on and on and on.

10 years with the same car who would ever have thought eh?

Only 10 years...LOL

I have to change it, otherwise I wouldn't. I intended to change it at 4 or 5 years old (very nearly bought a W211 on the launch day)...it's now 15.5 years.:D

Agreed - I did it for a forum quiz and got 30mpg over 50 miles but, boy, it was tedious/difficult.

Before I bought mine I knew it would be £500/annum tax, teens mpg (round town) and need 98RON.

All pre purchase info and I still bought it - now I just drive it, fill it up and drive it some more.

There is a perverse pleasure in teasing it along and seeing how high you can get it. After about an hour, I do tend to lose all sense of pleasure and then just enjoy the fact that driving it like normal for the remainder of the journey will see my MPG noticeably higher than normal without remembering the initial tedium :eek:

To be honest though, it's not the making good progress driving that crucifies my MPG, it's the being stuck in traffic. When that happens, driving carefully doesn't nearly make up enough MPG to be worth it!

I was only suggesting it's not worth it if you already have the car. However, you make an interesting point about downsizing. Your numbers show just how insignificant fuel costs are when compared to total ownership costs. Better off with a well maintained bigger engined used car than a smaller one that's been skimped on. Anyone downsizing is unlikely to change their driving behaviour soon so will probably end up killing the little car or driving it at revs that aren't optimal.

I drove from Nottingham to Heathrow and with a cold start and a steady 70 I got 27.2mpg.

I won't be trying it again, but I was in no rush and wanted to do Heathrow and back on one tank.

I had a meeting in bristol and had plenty of time to get there so decided to see how much MPG I could get out of mine. no more than 75mpg on the motorway, no going over 3k revs. The most boring drive of my life and I only managed 24.3 or so.

On the way home I drove normally, had much more fun and managed 20.1mpg.

Last time I try that again. If I was that concerned over fuel costs I would take the train...

I was quite chuffed seeing I averaged 14mpg on the last tank.
And that was steady driving......well sort of :)

I'd pay £750 extra a year at the blink of an eye for a large diesel such as 335d/535d over a smaller unit. The extra torque is worth every penny.

I commute 15k miles a year yet drive my Smart CDI like I stole it whilst still getting 70mpg.

It's much more fun doing that than trying to nurse something with a bigger engine to achieve considerably less mpg.

My commute is less boring and I save over 4 grand in fuel over the year by taking the smart.

Throw in miserly the running costs into the mix and it makes heaps of sense to do it this way and have a weekend car for pleasure.

It is one of the most tedious things nursing a high powered car for maximum economy.

Of course, running an old diesel Citroen on veg oil gives me 60mpg equivalent and a ride to die for. When it's working!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom