Surround sound system advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Felstmiester

MB Enthusiast
Car
Range rover sport
I’m not a gadget freak at all when it comes to tv’s and home stereo’s etc. But after 15 years my old tv has been replaced with a nice new one. Not because it bit the dust just because we’ve re vamped the front room and fancied a smart tv.

I would now like to get a surround sound system but I don’t want one that needs a dvd/blueray player to run it. I have had a search on the net as it’s been a long long time since I brought a surround sound system and it seems they’re pretty much still the same as the last Sony one I brought when it comes to being wireless. My understanding is they are not actually wireless. It’s only the wires from the front/tv to the rear speakers that are, then the rear speakers are wired from a receiver that requires power. Not a massive problem if this is the case but just laying it down in case I’m wrong?

Like I said. I’m not a gadget freak but at the same time the snob in me would steer clear of buying a Logitech system. That is unles they are good value for money and give out as much quality sound as say a Bose system ( I highly doubt it but like I said I’m not into this )

So to round it up.

Budget £200 I know I’m gonna get slated for my budget lol.

I’m after a small ish system.

Pref with the gubbins to run it all built in the sub.

Main reason for wanting this over just a sound bar is I like the bass from a sub.

I’m really not bothered if it doesn’t shatter the windows when turned up.

Only watch films and play a bit of music through tv from time to time.

Few wires as poss. Thanks in advance.

We bought a Panasonic TV and then decided to get a Panasonic surround sound system to go with it. The TV , surround sound and Sky+ HD box all run off the Sky remote. The sound quality is pretty good too.

I'd suggest a system that integrates well with your TV. Hopefully there's one within your budget.

I bought an lg smart tv and soundbar, there is 1 wire that connects the soundbar to the tv via the optical output and obviously a power cable and a seperate subwoofer which only has a power lead that plugs into the wall, its controlled via the soundbar wirelessly. It is perfect for listening to music (can stream music to it from my phone wirelessly) and has plenty base, also perfect for watching tv/films, + it works with the tv remote control, no brainer in my eyes

We have a few Denon DHT-T110 and they’re great. Subtle, and great sounding.

Cheers guys for your input. I have had a look at the sound bar / sub systems and although I’m sure they are more than adequate sound wise I would like an actual surround sound for when movies are being played that I’m guessing you don’t get with the sound bar only systems.

Cheers guys for your input. I have had a look at the sound bar / sub systems and although I’m sure they are more than adequate sound wise I would like an actual surround sound for when movies are being played that I’m guessing you don’t get with the sound bar only systems.
I thought the sound bars produced surround sound. That’s why they are so popular.

I thought the sound bars produced surround sound. That’s why they are so popular.

They do, of sorts.

They have multiple speakers which are setup and angled in such a way to create a virtual surround sound.

Quite convincing actually.

Depends if you want your lounge to look like a branch of Richer Sounds or not as you need speakers all around you otherwise.

You can buy Soundbars with subs too.

We had a traditional full surround sound set up in our main living room, with satellite speakers, subwoofers, centre fill speakers, all Sony and bought as a complete matching package with TV, DVD, etc. When we decorated the living room Mrs D wanted it and the old tele gone, and everything connected to it, including the traditional surround sound setup, in favour of a one-box sound base type setup.

We bought the Denon DHT-T110 soundbase, and we have a few more now as the sound at actual/real listening volumes is at least the equal of the full surround system we had before, in terms of volume, quality, and to these old ears the (simulated) surround sound effect. No doubt a newer and much more expensive full surround would show it up, but you’d have to be really into music/films to ,age it worthwhile.

It passed the best test we could give it with flying colours: Jurassic Park (or World) sounded and felt absolutely fantastic even at uncomfortable volume levels. That sold it to us.

Go have a listen to this, the sound is impressive AND the speakers are made by our good friends Harmann Kardan:

sharp aquos smart tv - Google Search

Tesco's were selling them off and you could hear with clarity a plugged in one all over the store..

I bought a new LG tv last year and needed something to spice the sound up as it was tinny and well, just a noise produced by a tv with no space for any decent sounding speakers. A quick trip to Richer Sounds with a similar budget to you ......

..... I came back with a Yamaha 683 (?)amp which has radio, net radio, bluetooth and few other things and a set of 5.1 Canton speakers - that are about the size of a rubiks cube and sound awesome.

A great sounding set up buy my budget was blown to smithereen :eek: :D

Judging by what’s been said I think I’m going with a sound bar & sub set up. The reviews I’ve read on the LG sj3 system are pretty good so sold. Cheers fellas.

Have a Samsung Smart TV with a Samsung sound bar and a remote Bass connected by wifi, pleased with it but not true surround sound , but did not want lots of speakers and cables

I've spent more than I care to admit on all sorts of home cinema and hifi - and yet, the setup that has impressed me most, pound for pound, has been my Sonus Beam soundbar (in an admittedly smallish room). Best £395 spent on audio for a very long time. Not perfect, but the plug and play nature is brilliant. Highly recommend, especially if you are going to add more satellites around the house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom