Survival in the event of an emergency

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by Bobby Dazzler, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Bobby Dazzler

Bobby Dazzler MB Club Veteran

Car:
    ML AMG-line Black Series
    For some time I've pondered the need for having a survival kit and plan for dealing with a significant emergency like a natural disaster, disease epidemic, long term power outage, nuclear disaster, terror attack, etc.

According to the Internet it seems there's plenty out there who have done something, but there are some extremists too, who really have gone to the nth level!!

Who's actually done something about it, and how far have you taken it?

2. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    Not sure what the kit contains... some basics would be obvious, i.e. canned food, bottled water, torches and batteries, radio, perhaps also candles and matches, first aid... but the thing I would try to get is a small generator, mainly for charging, e.g. mobile phone, and Internet access (assuming the networks do not collapse). Problem is that living in a flat I would not have where to safely store fuel for it. Probably a house in the country is a must have as starting point...

3. rascalmaster

rascalmaster Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Brabus D5 (E280 CDI) Avantgarde, E280 CDI Sport Estate, E320 Avantgarde now sold
    have water bottles (large cheap ones that we replace every year), blankets, & torches.
    also make sure the barbecue cylinder has gas in it.
    also try and not have the cars almost empty like some do; when i do- i fill them full.

1 person likes this.
  4. Spinal

Spinal Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Smart, S320 and C180 with 3-pointed stars amongst others
    I had a preparedness kit... but rarely talk about it as people tend to think it's a bit kooky...

Consists of the basics:
    - 1kw generator (+2 jerry's of fuel with storage additive... that said, I probably would need more)
    - food/water to last 30 days (mainly US army ration packs as these last 50 years without refrigeration, + some rice/legumes/sprouting seeds)
    - knifes/machettes
    - recurve bow (was looking for a compound at one point)
    - wind up torches
    - wind up base-camp radio (combined CB, PMRR, and marine transmitter) + FM, AM, SW receiver
    - very large first aid kit (kind of depleted since I gave most of it to a hospital in Timbuktu... rebuilding this one)
    - water filters + tablets
    - 1000 litre container of water in the back yard if the bottled water in the garage isn't enough
    - matches, lighters, fire steel, kindle
    -
    As I said, it's not the largest kit on the planet... but it's a start :)

M.

3 people like this.
  5. moonloops

moonloops MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C350 CDI AMG Sport
    I have better things to worry about... :thumb:

5 people like this.
  6. tylerdurden

tylerdurden Hardcore MB Enthusiast

sensible but you're right ' a bit kooky'. Having said that, you will survive a WWIII situation unlike me.

7. Rich27

Rich27 Active Member

Car:
    190e 300TD
    How about a 12V battery and a solar charger keeping it topped up, enough to charge a phone, radio and use a 240v tranformer?

8. Spinal

Car:
    Thing is, I use a lot of it when I go camping/bushwalking/driving/etc... it's not a static kit that sits in the garage all the time (except the large water store :p)

I'll admit, I tend to try not to eat the MREs as they are hard to get since I no longer work with them and they taste like.... well... if you've ever tasted british rations... they aren't much better...

M.

9. tylerdurden

tylerdurden Hardcore MB Enthusiast

i quite like the British army packs. After a long day trekking they taste great. However, I bet they taste rank if you have them in the comfort of home.

Our 3 water butts would probably give us enough water.

10. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    Surely you can just go down to Tescos and buy these things along with your petrol after the disaster? On the down side I hear they may suspend the Extra Clubcard Points scheme in the event of Nuclear Fallout--- but on the plus side ---they will have a new DVD "end of aisle" disaster display featuring titles like The Day after Tomorrow, Dr Strangelove , 48 Hours Later etc on special offer ----so not all bad news then.:rolleyes:

2 people like this.
  11. Spinal

Car:
    Shops tend to be the first to be "sieged" by crowds of people... which means lack of stock (look at the toilet paper shortage for an example).

If the phone lines go down, then chip&pin cards go down as well... so people wont be able to pay... while a few may have enough cash, those that don't wont stand idly...

Which means next comes the looting (don't really need to give an example of looting, do I? :p)...

Frankly, I would rather be in the comfort of my house eating tinned mistery meat...

Small scale examples of "shortages" would include the fuel queues 1-2 years ago...

Maybe it's because when I grew up, there was a boat that came once a month with supplies. If you didn't stock up for the rest of the month, you would be in trouble... and limited to fish & rice...

M

12. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    Seriously-in the event of a long term disaster --- what is missing from your list------some essential medicines such as antibiotics and strong analgesics and a copy of the BNF British National Formulary [ the GP's bible of prescription] and some weaponry to fend off the large number of people who have not made provision coming and stealing yours.

13. Druk

Druk Administrator Staff Member

Car:
    2011 S212 E350CDi. 1981 R107 300TurboDiesel.
    We're a' doomed I tell ye.....DOOMED

14. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    Ah but some of us are prepared to be DOOMED.;)

2 people like this.
  15. Spinal

Car:
    antibiotics were in the first aid kit... along with several painkillers... mainly opiate based (codeine)... When I said a large first aid kit, I meant a large one... put it this way, when we were in the hospital in Timbuktu, our car was better stocked than they were... hence why we gave them the lot...

Firearms are a minefield in the UK... a good longbow, recurve or compound seems like a much easier solution... crossbows are too slow to reload... plus, we all know that zombies come in heards :p

M.

16. corned

corned Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    car
    I have a special roll of kitchen foil at the ready to wrap around my head in the event of nuclear attack.

1 person likes this.
  17. 312 Sprinter

312 Sprinter Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Is there any point? If the situation is serious enough you'll need to sustain yourself for years. I don't see that it's realistic to stock pile that quantity of food and water. Probably better to teach yourself to live off the land rather than stock pile.

18. Dryce

Dryce MB Club Veteran

Car:
    That assumes that there is suitable land available to live off. Rather a lot of people - especially in the SE of England.

There is an issue of practicality. Back in the 70s there were people with nuclear shelters and stocks. That's not a sensible option.

A practical perspective is to hold reasonable stocks of water and non-perishable food to deal with something that is disruptive on the assumption that council / government will be able to patch over the problem within a reasonable time.

There used to be a lot of people thinking the unthinkable on our behalf. Mainly because of the threat of nuclear attack. As that perceived threat has appeared to recede I get the impression that councils in particular and to a lesser extent government is thinking less about the unthinkable.

19. Spinal

Car:
    Not to mention there are a miriad of smaller "disasters" that no-one really prepares for... snow last year? There were people abandoning cars in the roads and walking home, stores shutting down and generally chaos... what if that snow lasted a little longer?

M.

20. longhoughtonlad

longhoughtonlad Active Member

Car:
    C180, SL 320. Freelander2 2012
    Well, I did fell well, untill I read all this