Suspected Combustion Blow-by

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Voltan

Car
W211 E220CDi, W220 S320CDi
Hi, I am quite confused with opinions regarding an issue in my W220 S320CDi. The car is with 78K miles now and is maintained by the book. 10 months ago I installed a Kleemann KD Box and did not notice anything abnormal for 2 months except for quite heavy dark-grey exhaust smoke on hard accelerations.

Later, on one high-speed long distance run I got the “1 litre engine oil top-up” reminder on the dash, which I did. However after about 625 miles the same reminder flashed. Since then if I drove gently below 75 mph, I could stretch the top-ups to about 900 miles, otherwise were 500-600 miles.

I noticed that when opening the oil cap with the engine running, there was a fairly high air pressure which could be felt some 7 inches above the filler hole.

Without touching anything, a few techies suggested that I have worn piston rings and the pressure being the result of combustion blow-bys. But then the mileage is SO LOW, and worst, the expensive dollar signs are now flashing in my poor head. Could I get advises and suggestions from members before the any dollar seeking guys experiment around with my car. Thank you.

Hi, I am quite confused with opinions regarding an issue in my W220 S320CDi. The car is with 78K miles now and is maintained by the book. 10 months ago I installed a Kleemann KD Box and did not notice anything abnormal for 2 months except for quite heavy dark-grey exhaust smoke on hard accelerations.

Later, on one high-speed long distance run I got the “1 litre engine oil top-up” reminder on the dash, which I did. However after about 625 miles the same reminder flashed. Since then if I drove gently below 75 mph, I could stretch the top-ups to about 900 miles, otherwise were 500-600 miles.

I noticed that when opening the oil cap with the engine running, there was a fairly high air pressure which could be felt some 7 inches above the filler hole.

Without touching anything, a few techies suggested that I have worn piston rings and the pressure being the result of combustion blow-bys. But then the mileage is SO LOW, and worst, the expensive dollar signs are now flashing in my poor head. Could I get advises and suggestions from members before the any dollar seeking guys experiment around with my car. Thank you.

Sorry, please disregard this posting as it was meant to replicate an earlier posting which I thought was stuck or rejected by the system. I'd appreciate responses vide the earlier one. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom