suspension bushes and stuff

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ade B

MB Enthusiast
Car
2006 Accord Tourer iCDTI EX
Car came back from service today with a mainly clean bill of health in the engine/ drivetrain department (hooray!)

Except for a few bits I asked to be checked on the undercarriage (booo!)

It appears that the gradually deteriorating shopping trolley like handling of the car is not a complete figment of my imagination and I will be needing to replace the following in the near future:

a. rear subframe bushes (front ones are visibly shot)
b. front lower wishbones (ball joints have play and bushes a bit ropey)
c. front wheel bearings (wee bit of play, sound ok)
d. arb bushes (I think)

Have been given a quote from a reputable source but my question is if I'm getting the above done in one go (subject to next month's MOT) is there anything else I should be looking to do at the same time - within reason there's a recession on you know..

I've had new springs front and back already.

TIA

Ade

The condition of the rear suspension 5 link layout is important to that fabled relaxed cruising and accuracy of steering due to NIL toe changes when driving.

Apart from the subframe bushes (all 4) two links in particular are key to the above accuracy when driving.

These are the TORQUE link and the THRUST link.

One gets very stressed when accelerating and other gets very stressed when braking.

The bushes at each end of the links wear and they develope play.

The links are relatively inexpensive and come complete with the bushes installed.

They have been updated and are a later 210 model part.

As far as the subframe bushes go, you need to have all 4 changed, because whilst you say it is the front that are showing wear it is the rear only that are tuned to the car chassis (rear sportline coupe bushes have different part number to rear standard coupe bushes for example) and this demonstrates how the rear bushes influence drivability.

I have replaced several sets of subframe bushes to date and am currently doing my own and believe me when I say that ALL the rear bushes were well worn and in fact were distorted, with the spigot from the car body having elongated the fixing hole in the bushes so much so that I have had to resort to a power drill to get the subframe to separate from the car body at the rear bushes. I have to drill the material away from the rear bushes to the extent that they free off from the car body spigots.

Once the subframe is freed from the car body the bushes are relatively straightforward to replace with the special tools, which I have invested in.

How much have you been quoted for the work you describe, and have you ascertained that they have actually done this job previously on 124's.

How much time have they allowed for the job.

Give me some feedback and I can then comment.

Cheers for that - I'm not unhappy with the quote although its not a small amount... and have plenty of confidence in the Indy - I'll pm more details when I get a bit more time to think - it'll be a late one tonight in't office.. :rolleyes:

Ade

If the front wheel bearings are quiet, then they may be adjusted rather than being replaced.

If you do this work yourself, you need to ensure absolute cleanliness, and use a dial gauge to set the end-float. Alternatively, if you use a garage, chat to them about the adjustment, and if they don't mention that they will use a dial gauge, don't allow them to do the work.

I'd bring the car down to Hove and get Alan Robertson to do it. He has all the tools and does this work for me all the time

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Update, front lower wishbones and rear subframe front mounts replaced today.. Not something I wish to repeat in a hurry.

Car feels no different - perhaps a little quieter, but needs a 4 wheel alignment to complete.

Thanks for the input.

Ade

Is yours a Sportline? If so what sort of cost were the front wishbones? Mine really need replacing I did buy one a couple of years ago for £220.00 each :(

I could also do with some bushes replaced on the rear but as you say not cheap and it doesn't seem to make a huge difference when they’re done.

Is yours a Sportline? If so what sort of cost were the front wishbones? Mine really need replacing I did buy one a couple of years ago for £220.00 each :(

I could also do with some bushes replaced on the rear but as you say not cheap and it doesn't seem to make a huge difference when they’re done.

rear bits & labour were relatively cheap, front wishbones £250 inc vat a side plus labour plus camber bolts.. Apparently you can't get pattern wishbones for sports chassis, and you can't get separate ball joints either.

all in just shy of £1k... expensive day. :(

Ade.

rear bits & labour were relatively cheap, front wishbones £250 inc vat a side plus labour plus camber bolts.. Apparently you can't get pattern wishbones for sports chassis, and you can't get separate ball joints either.

all in just shy of £1k... expensive day. :(

Ade.

Thanks, I tried getting a pattern part when I replaced mine but no such luck, 1k sounds a good price for that lot though and at least you know it's all been done now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom