suspension clunk noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fordgt40

Car
C63 AMG estate
I have a C63 AMG, when reversing out of the drive on full right lock I get what can only be described as a clunk from the front nearside,very noticeable from inside and outside, there's slight undulations on the drive which seem to trigger it as it doesn't do it on smooth surfaces.

The Merc dealer doesn't seem to really know what causes it and has replaced the track control arm bushes with no effect, I don't want to go down the road of replacing a bit at a time to see if it cures it as this can be expensive as the car is now just out of warranty, it seems to be worse in the cold weather I'm just wondering if it's tyre related, anybody experienced anything similar as any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks for that, I wish I could get hold of a diagram of the suspension set up to see what's what.

Just been out in the car, when completely cold it does 6 or 7 clunks when reversing and going onto full right hand lock, when after a run and up to temperature it does 1 or 2 which suggests it's temperature related, the only thing I can think of is tyres, I'm on Pirelli P Zeros about 1/3 worn, it's as if the geometry of the steering is either dragging or pushing the tyre over the surface.

Mine was making a horrible noise first thing on cold mornings. I wouldn't have believed it but it was just the tyres where they were slightly worn on the inside. New tyres on and now no noise!!

Been back in touch with the dealers and because the clunk noise is coming from the nearside they said they'd swop the suspension struts left to right to see if it would determine where the noise was coming from, at no charge to myself I might add, I have my doubts but I'll report back when it's done next Wednesday, I still think it a tyre issue though.

That's the way to go, I did exactly that with my W203 and the noise shifted left to right, then on further inspection I foud the fault on the spacer on the rear damper:bannana:

Sounds like Thrust arm bushes, did they fit the modified one's with the caps that go over the top aswell ?

Justin, yes the thrust arm bushes have been replaced with the latest version, at least that's what I was told.

Suspension has been swapped left to right, clunk is still there on the nearside but only after it's been standing overnight and doesn't do it after a short drive, my feeling is it's still the tyres but they are wearing evenly with no scrubbing and plenty of life in them, the car drives perfectly so I'm mistified. My next move is to swap tyres left to right and see if that makes any diference.

Could it be engine mount related? That's a big old engine block in there.One test you could do is to warm up the car in the drive for say 10 minutes without moving ---let it sit another 5 with the engine off to let the heat percolate round the engine compartment then try your full right lock in reverse manoeuvre ??

I'll give it a try.

Just been talking to a fellow C63 owner and his makes the same clunking noise as mine when reversing on full lock, seems to be a steering geometry issue.

fordgt40 said:
I'll give it a try.

Just been talking to a fellow C63 owner and his makes the same clunking noise as mine when reversing on full lock, seems to be a steering geometry issue.

Have you resolved this noise issue?

Two weeks ago the Merc dealer sent his chief mechanic to record the noise and photograph where it happens, they sent this info off to Stuttgart, I'm still waiting for the result, the car hasn't been used for over a week and oddly enough it didn't do it this morning, I suspect the rise in air temperature has something to do with it so I'm still thinking tyres are the culprits.

My E coupe has done this for a long time now only the opposite side (Drivers side).
Its only when I am full left lock and reversing up the drive, sounds like a suspension clunk or something??
I didn't really think much of it as it only happens on full lock so haven't mentioned anything to the dealer. I am afraid of getting fobbed off by them!

My 2012 c class coupe had started doing exactly the same thing. The dealer has changed some sort of ball joint but this morning the car has done it again. Infact now the car makes a squeak/squeal noise from the nearside rear wheel. Any ideas?

My CLK used to do this reversing off the drive on full lock, stopped completely after new front tyres were fitted. The old ones were not worn or uneven, but somehow did not like full lock reversing, very strange.

Russ

Problem solved, swapped wheels from a new C63 onto mine, clunk diappeared, put my wheels back on, clunk reappeared, solution, new tyres, nothing wrong with the old ones, maybe half worn, it's maybe something to do with the rolling radius of the tyres and when they wear they alter the steering geometry, also the new ones have the correct side wall rating, 91Y instead of 95Y, can't think of anything else,

Mecedes dealer was excellent trying to sort it out, shouldn't have taken so long though but as a bonus Merc.UK gave me £250 for my troubles, I'm just glad it's sorted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom