Suspension clunk

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

W210Virgin

Car
2002 S210 Avantgarde 320CDi in silver. Black leather interior
I'm looking for a bit of input please to a problem I've been thusfar unable to pinpoint. I've a 2002 S210 with 151k miles. Over the last few months I've replaced the front lower arms, ARBs, droplinks and lower ball joints. The drop links only this weekend as I thought this was the source of the problem. All parts Lemforder except ball joints that are TRW. Just this last week I've noticed a new clunking in front N/S corner, nearly like it started overnight. In other words, it wasn't there as a gradual noise that slowly worsened over time. However replacing the links made previous little difference and at this point I'm stuck. I've poked and prodded every part as far as possible with the front on stands and wheels off. And I can't see anything amiss. The noise in the car is somewhere between a rattle and a clunk when driven over a rough surface and definitely clunks in the up and down stroke of the suspension. My head is telling me the lower ball joint but I can't simulate any movement in it by prising at it with bars and levers. On the off chance, I've also checked anything else that might be remotely loose but nothing there. At this point I'm all out of ideas other than a failure of a 3 months old ball joint.
Would be half of any suggestions before I whip it out and return it to ECP.

Last edited:
Yes, thought about shock absorber. The top and bottom connections all look tight so could they clunk internally? Judging by the condition of them they could be originals or maybe even the second set, so I'd say quite old. Steering ball joint looks good too and doesn't seem to have any movement that I can detect. As far as I am aware the top bushing and ball joint set up are normally not a problem and any prying I've done seems to show they are in good shape. When I was doing the lower arms I had a good shake of all the other bits, and drop links aside, everything was in good shape. Do you think the ARB on that side might be worn again if the old worn drop links were loading it up? Can the ARB slide off centre?

They do clunk internally.

Remove the shock and drive it (slowly) and see if it goes.

Might just bite the bullet and put a fresh set on anyway, as I'd be surprised if they weren't knackered.

I'll try removing but won't get at it till the weekend as I've to travel to Immingham for the next few days.

W210Virgin said:
I'll try removing but won't get at it till the weekend as I've to travel to Immingham for the next few days.
is worth checking the rubbers in the spring cups because they also can make noise if worn.

I think rubbers are OK as they were out when I replaced the arms in April. Still, worth a check though.

The dampers will be shot at 150k miles.
To check the bottom ball joint, lift the wheel.

More and more pointing at the dampers. I'll check them tomorrow at home or at the weekend latest. Cheap enough and easy enough to replace too.

I've checked prices and they're about £70 got a pair of Monroe at Mr Auto so I consider that reasonably cheap. Anyway, had a few weighty people nice the car and top rubber on shock is shot so that's the problem solved

I've checked prices and they're about £70 for a pair of Monroe at Mr Auto so I consider that reasonably cheap. Anyway, had a few weighty people nice the car and top rubber on shock is shot so that's the problem solved

No, my mistake. About £65 each but only available as a pair. Still, could be worse.

W210Virgin said:
No, my mistake. About £65 each but only available as a pair. Still, could be worse.
I remember years ago when people used to import a lot of vw,Audi,bmw and mercedes from Germany in my country I've fitted a lot of Monroe sensatrack in that cars and they weren't all that good a sach or bilstein were much better .

Solved

All sorted on Saturday. Used the Sachs shocks and got a good deal at a small local supplier for £64.80 each. Originals were obviously Sachs too as they were identical. Only difference was the lower fixing bolts that went thro' the eye.

Great job and car is fantastically smooth and quiet for an old barge with 153k miles on it. :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom