Suspension exploded??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MORGANpl

Car
Mercedes W212 E350 AMG Bluetec Night Edition Premium Plus
Sitting at home,watching TV and suddenly hear big bang and alarm comes goes on. I go out and see my that's my wife Merc. Looking at the car around found one side of the car very low(??) Im sure the car doesn't have air suspension. Is it possible that the shock exploded or spring ??

Attachments

• _20180812_124937.JPG
    _20180812_124937.JPG
    416.9 KB · Views: 62
I would say the spring snapped

Good thing it did it while parked up, and not while on the move.

You need to replace a pair. Only buy from Mercedes to ensure you get the right ones.

BTW that car is due a wash ;)

Very likely a broken spring. This often happens when a car is stationary- its a combination of corrosion and internal stresses in the spring dating from when it was made. Its not dependent on load altho shock loading from potholes etc can precipitate failure. Renew both springs [ front pair or rear?] and make sure your get the right rating for your car- can often be gleaned from the colour coating stripes on the spring if they haven't worn off

+1 for springs. I got fed up of replacing them on my C-Class and in the end I fitted H&R springs.

They will lower the car a touch, but in my experience the ride wasn’t compromised. Best of all, they’ll probably last longer.

I would say the spring snapped

Good thing it did it while parked up, and not while on the move.

You need to replace a pair. Only buy from Mercedes to ensure you get the right ones.

BTW that car is due a wash ;)
I just come back from trip to Luton airport. :eek: good it happen now not on my way. The car should be cleaned today but now can't do it :D

I used non MB springs when mine failed the MOT on broken springs, they had both gone right at the bottom and could only be seen with the suspension in free state, still drove fine no noise or rattles. I got the proper weight of springs from the data card points system. Springs £60.00 for the pair and my indi fitted them for £100.00 mind you I was his boss 30 years back and he does remember getting away with some pretty hairy antics in the car park.

How can I drive the car? I just check and I can turn left but not right. Wheel is catching wing :wallbash:

Looks like it has broken further up than mine did, I would think it's gone half way up the coils. As for driving it you may have to get it recovered.

Looks like it has broken further up than mine did, I would think it's gone half way up the coils. As for driving it you may have to get it recovered.
It looks so that I will have to use recovery :(

Look mate, you bought a top quality Merc so it wouldn't self destruct in the drive all by itself didn't you...?

I don't think Indian cars, Jags and Volvos and Tata's and things fall apart at the seams all by themselves do they. Buy quality mate, buy quality - your life depends on it.

Other Trabant 601 Limousine 1989

These won't self destruct and people won't tailgate you because of the smoke; reliable AND safe, nothing like it!

Now come on Dr Z.

Last edited:
They'll be going bang at night due to temp drop. They go bang during the day due to cyclic peak stress in service.

Springs picked up today from MB. Paid £122 for the set. A2113210404 Markings on spring 2Yellow 1Green. I just notice that springs on car are 3Yellow 1Green but i think both markings where available for this model.

Springs picked up today from MB. Paid £122 for the set. A2113210404 Markings on spring 2Yellow 1Green. I just notice that springs on car are 3Yellow 1Green but i think both markings where available for this model.

For a set of 2 or 4? I’m guessing 2?

It looks so that I will have to use recovery :(

Call a mobile mechanic.

That's not right.

When I ordered the pair of rear springs for my father's W210 the MB parts guy asked for the colour coding in order to match. You should take it back and get matching ones.

Call a mobile mechanic.

That's not right.

When I ordered the pair of rear springs for my father's W210 the MB parts guy asked for the colour coding in order to match. You should take it back and get matching ones.
Looking at the parts catalogue for my car springs are listed with 2yellow 1 green and 3yellow 1green. But I will ring them and ask.

Those parts number coming up with the VIN.

Attachments

• _20180815_062019.JPG
    _20180815_062019.JPG
    261.8 KB · Views: 8
  • A211 321 04 04 (2).pdf
    24.5 KB · Views: 2
You will have various options because it will depend on the spec. level of each car. Where you have a number of choices the parts guy should have checked with you, unless it is documented in the system.

You will have various options because it will depend on the spec. level of each car. Where you have a number of choices the parts guy should have checked with you, unless it is documented in the system.
I ring MB in the morning as I manage to check my springs 1 green 3 yellow ,and those I got yesterday are 1 green 2 yellow and I've been told that the person who check them for me did some wrong calculation and I can come and replace for those with 3 yellow markings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom