Suspension kit for w203: too good to be true?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SamNotts

Car
Looking at the moment
Hi folks,

Is this listing on fleabay is all I need for replacement of my car's suspension - springs, struts, and absorbers, at least. My W203 (2002, C240, Petrol) drives like a dream, but the underside is starting to show its age and am thinking of renewing some of the components. Having obtained quotes from various places it looks as it the job would cost at least £1500 with parts and labour (control arms, springs, absorbers, struts etc). I came across this listing and although it's evidently not original Mercedes parts, I was wondering if the parts are ok for my car: standard original suspension kit shock absorbers springs Mercedes C-Class W203 | eBay

Many thanks

Have you replaced any of the drop links or control arms?

When you say showing it’s age can you elaborate further?

Firstly is it the right type for your model e.g Avantgard etc.
Secondly you need to know who makes it or you could be re-doing this fairly shortly.

The colour codes are dependent on factory fitted equipment and it is important to match them as spring rates etc vary.

Have you replaced any of the drop links or control arms?]

Yes, front lower control arms have both been replaced as they were knackered

When you say showing it’s age can you elaborate further?

By 'showing its age', I mean there is a rattling noise from the rear right tyre area when the car goes over bumps or rough roads. It is perfectly silent on smooth roads though. I've taken it to two different garages so far, both of which haven' been able to identify the issue. They've loaded the car onto a ramp, taken off the tyres, rattled the car and visually inspected the springs, struts, absorbers and whole rear suspension. But besides corrosion, which is not unusual for a car this age neither garage could find the cause. The second garage suggested that it might be the absorbers but even then it is 50/50 since it isn't leaking nor rattling when the car is shaken up. But he suggested we change it to see what happens.

I thought that is might be an idea to change everything while we're at it, since he wasn't very sure of the cause and a change of absorbers only might end up not being the needed fix and other parts therefore may alos need changing. That's how come I ended up with that quote and why I've been looking at these parts.

The colour codes are dependent on factory fitted equipment and it is important to match them as spring rates etc vary.

I hadn't though of that, thanks. Ebay matched those parts to my model so I presumed they would fit. But evidently I have to carry out further checks

Firstly is it the right type for your model e.g Avantgard etc.
Secondly you need to know who makes it or you could be re-doing this fairly shortly.

In terms of the model, I have checked again and it fits the avantgard model, which mine is. However, these look unbranded, so far as I can see; so that's clearly an issue. Thanks for alerting me to that

By 'showing its age', I mean there is a rattling noise from the rear right tyre area when the car goes over bumps or rough roads. It is perfectly silent on smooth roads though. I've taken it to two different garages so far, both of which haven' been able to identify the issue. They've loaded the car onto a ramp, taken off the tyres, rattled the car and visually inspected the springs, struts, absorbers and whole rear suspension. But besides corrosion, which is not unusual for a car this age neither garage could find the cause. The second garage suggested that it might be the absorbers but even then it is 50/50 since it isn't leaking nor rattling when the car is shaken up. But he suggested we change it to see what happens.

I thought that is might be an idea to change everything while we're at it, since he wasn't very sure of the cause and a change of absorbers only might end up not being the needed fix and other parts therefore may alos need changing. That's how come I ended up with that quote and why I've been looking at these parts.

If you are sure the unwanted sound is coming from the rear right, I’d say investigate that area further. From your description I’d say inspect the rear control arm bushing for excessive play or if the rubber is significantly split it may be a sign that it requires replacement to eradicate the unwanted noise coming from that area. Comparing it to the other side where there is no rattle may also help assist diagnosis.

If you are sure the unwanted sound is coming from the rear right, I’d say investigate that area further. From your description I’d say inspect the rear control arm bushing for excessive play or if the rubber is significantly split it may be a sign that it requires replacement to eradicate the unwanted noise coming from that area. Comparing it to the other side where there is no rattle may also help assist diagnosis.

Many thanks, I'll have a look at those.

I fitted some cheap eBay rear dampers and top mounts to my 204, didn’t last 6 months before the top mounts were banging and one of the shocks was leaking.

I fitted some cheap eBay rear dampers and top mounts to my 204, didn’t last 6 months before the top mounts were banging and one of the shocks was leaking.

Ouch! A case of steer away from these types then...

If you can, stick to febi bilstein or Lenfoorder. Buy cheap , buy twice, sometimes you can get a wee bargain in auto part shops with sales weekends, that’s where I look, they do a clear out sale regularly....

If you can, stick to febi bilstein or Lenfoorder. Buy cheap , buy twice, sometimes you can get a wee bargain in auto part shops with sales weekends, that’s where I look, they do a clear out sale regularly....

Cheers!

I think Lemforder is OEM supplier to MB when it comes to control arms on the w203

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom