Suspension Knocking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abb

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mercedes
I have recently had the 55 in for a service and to have some niggles fixed, as well as a general once over health check for some preventative maintenance. Have been informed that all the work has been completed and car is ready for collection, however one fault hasn't been fixed! :(
Just before it went in, the car had developed a noise I can only describe as a knocking sound, only when reversing, nigh on full lock applied, approx 5 mph, is would sound like a knock would from the front suspension.
As part of the work carried out, I have had both O/S and N/S caster arms replaced (apparently these needed doing and was thought to have been the probable cause) but the 'knock' is still there. To add to it, on the advisory sheet I have been mailed, it states 'OFFSIDE AND NEARSIDE FRONT LOWER SUPPORTING ARM SHOCK ABSORBER BUSHES ARE SPLITTING'.
Can anyone shed any light onto the probable cause and fix?

Abb, First check they tightened up the work they did then check your cv joints, control arms and tie rod ends and check all bolts are tight as maybe one is half a turn out.......otherwise a trip to the local garage and get on a ramp! Sounds like lower control arm bushing mate but have it all checked out at local garage first ;)

Last edited:
Normally when something wears, other components take up the slack. Tie rods and bushes usually being the victims. If it was there before you put it in, then go with bushes then tie rods. You could have a look at the tie rods as they can be moved up and down via the anti roll bar. They normally knock when the grease has gone out of them and it's time to change them. Also the anti roll bushes can be checked then too.

Nigh on a year later and the saga continues! No one can seem to find what is causing the 'knock' even though it has got progressively worse! It is still at very minor speed, max 5mph when reversing, but is happening when I turn the wheel either way, oppose to just to the offside. Its quite a distinctive 'clunk' and is annoying more than anything else. My indie has listened to it using a stethoscope and seems to think its possibly coming from my airmatic struts. The thing is, they are only approx 18months old and are Arnott items.
Before I begin to have these replaced (I am doubtful that this is the cause), I know other members have experienced similar issues (albeit on E55) and have solved it by replacing the anti roll bar (as the bushes were the cause and they don't come separate), is this the same as the part mentioned in my original post as an advisory...OFFSIDE AND NEARSIDE FRONT LOWER SUPPORTING ARM SHOCK ABSORBER BUSHES ARE SPLITTING???

Abb, I had this fault on my E55 and it cost me £10k to fix.

But don't worry, I'll take it off your hands and take the hit.:D

SPX said:
Abb, I had this fault on my E55 and it cost me £10k to fix. But don't worry, I'll take it off your hands and take the hit.:D

You are all heart Lee!

Received my invoice from my indie for fault diagnosis/repair for knocking noise. Have replaced both castor arms, camber arms, ball joints, anti roll bar links.....and the noise continues!
He has diagnosed the fault using a chassis ear to be coming from within the suspension struts (Arnott items), but prior to replacing these is there ANY thing else I should be looking at?? (Selling it/giving it to Lee does not constitute a valid reply :D)

Abb said:
Received my invoice from my indie for fault diagnosis/repair for knocking noise. Have replaced both castor arms, camber arms, ball joints, anti roll bar links.....and the noise continues! He has diagnosed the fault using a chassis ear to be coming from within the suspension struts (Arnott items), but prior to replacing these is there ANY thing else I should be looking at?? (Selling it/giving it to Lee does not constitute a valid reply :D)

Top mounts shot or loose.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

My C55 had a loose top mount. Sounded exactly like shot drop links.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Loose onto the strut or to the body?

Will we ever get to the bottom of W211 suspension knocking?
I've had my E 320CDI estate for just over a year, replaced all four front ball joint straight away. Clunking went away small knocking remains.
Been to 3 garages, main dealer and 2 indies. One indie changed the lower control arms, which was expensive, no effect.
It's worse in the morning, cold car, improves as the cars warms up. Very noticeable reversing out of the drive.
Speed bumps don't trigger it, but pot holes do, so unloading the suspension has more effect.
My 211 only has air at the rear.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom