Suspension squeak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ledbelly

Car
2002 E240 Elegance W210. 2003 CLK320 Avantgarde W209
My 2003 CLK 320 W209 has recently developed a suspension squeak. It occurs mainly when turning left and appears to come from the right rear.
Interestingly it seems to go away in wet weather.
Is this a known problem and what can I do about it?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

My C200 W205 goes through spells when the suspension squeaks. It can last for a week or more and then goes away just as quickly as it arrived. As with your CLK, wet weather appears to help. I'm guessing it's to do with dust and assorted muck in the springy gubbins bits (like the technical terminology there?).

Pop underneath, and spray silicone on everything rubber, lubricating it like the rain does, but the silicone will last.

I've found that rubber bushes dry out and can squeak, when it's wet they get lubricated (sort of) = no squeak

Thanks for the replies. I guess it doesn't sound as though anything has failed then?
Great news.

Lower outer bush (the one on the arm with the spring) they’re pretty prone for noises

Lower outer bush (the one on the arm with the spring) they’re pretty prone for noises

Unrelated, but anecdotal, Mini's ( proper Mini's that is ), used to be squeakers of the first order. A good dose of washing up liquid squirted on the suspension components used to quieten them down like magic.
Do not go squirting WD40 randomly on suspension components. It will just dissolve and wash away any grease / lubricant that is there. Sad the day that they did away with grease nipples.

Steve.

I have a squeak on the N/S front of mine..

I've replaced the Shocks, Lower control arm, Lower Ball joint and checked the Anti-roll bar links for wear or seizing.

I've got a new Upper control arm ready to go in , but my hopes aren't high.

Splashing through a puddle usually cures it for a bit, but I can't!

Sounds promising, hopefully, I'll get the upper Control arm (including ball joint) fitted at the weekend...

Doesn't that only work when the suspension is stiff?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom