Suspension

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

craig0311

Car
2003 E270
Hi folks,

I have replaced the front suspension both sides on my E270 with brand new parts.

2 Control arm, ball joints, upper control arm, anti roll bar connection, tie rod ends.

When I go over uneven road at slow speed have a knocking noise by don’t hear it any other time.

I have stripped everything off again and torqued to correct spec and still have this noise.

Am I missing something obvious that is causing this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi struts were also replaced and new discs and pads, the anti roll bar connection pieces were changed too.

Looked at the ARB bushes and look fine???

Top suspension mounts?

Would top mounts give a knocking noise, again these looked fine when put new springs on, might bring it off again to make sure.

Thanks for the reply’s

Would top mounts give a knocking noise, again these looked fine when put new springs on, might bring it off again to make sure.

Thanks for the reply’s

Yes. If it still knocks after that speaking from experience I'd learn to live with it or you'll go insane and spend an awful lot of time and money looking for it.

Did have exactly that sort of noise in that situation. Took a lot to diagnose it but it turned out to be the bushes on the anti-roll bar. The were replaced and the noise went.

On the bar itself or round connection pieces?

You cant buy the anti roll bar bushes they are bonded to the bar itself.

Well that is what the service manager at the dealer told me after they had done quite a lot of investigation. Even took it out and ran it over a rough surface. It solved it anyway and I wasn't paying for it either.

Well that is what the service manager at the dealer told me after they had done quite a lot of investigation. Even took it out and ran it over a rough surface. It solved it anyway and I wasn't paying for it either.

More likely to have been the bushes in the links.

Did you load the suspension before tightening it all up? What make parts did you use?

Hi folks just an update, turned out I hadn’t tightened the nut on top of strut when putting spring back on properly and that is what was causing the knocking , tightened up and all good now!. As for the parts I got them delivered Germany apparently genuine. Thanks again for all your help, great forum this!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom