suspension

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tezz

Car
A180 w169 2006 2.0 cdi
so when I got car, it always bottomed out on front on really rough roads or big cambers at speed, eventually the springs on front snapped, both issues are well documented on A class, with a 50/50 mix of no owners having any issues.

I replaced springs after they snapped on front with after market ones and unless pushed hard bottoming out was improved.

I looked into this and read all posts and the variation of springs just from MB is a mind filed, after market was even worst from 390mm to 410mm

sports chassis ? non sport, increased load , data car ect, even some w169 specs are same as w245, and seams 5 door like mine, after market assume is same as 3 door, its a big mess

so I was thinking, cars ****ed on clearance for MB, for my car, no idea why don't care.

so options. up

put on A200, set up, put on the sports pack, check specs on after market

in my internet I found 30mm spacers fro car to raise it all 30mm, but unsure how this would effect camber ect ect t £150 for car

Then found the most un-popular kit for any A class owner, sports spring and lowering kit with struts and shocks approx.. £250. they drop it 30 mm

so this got me thinking, could you fit the lower sports set up, stiffer ride ect, add spacers, keep ride hight, but the sporty progression of springs stop bottoming out ?

or just add the 30mm rise to stock.

Im almost convince the bottoming out is due to, my auto over spec car, what I don't know is if MB know this?

problem is to check, I need to replace everything with OEM, at massive cost, with possibility to find out it was like it from new

Your problem probably is you inherited a car with the wrong springs fitted. Most modern cars suffer from corrosion focussed internal stress failure -nothing to do with the way the car is driven but how the springs are manufactured 5 year life is fairly common leading to non standard replacements. Mercedes springs are not immune to this but if you take the car to a good MB dealer at least you will get the correctly rated/ride height springs.

Doesn't the Datacard provide the MB Part Number for the springs? You can't go wrong with original-spec springs.

Your problem probably is you inherited a car with the wrong springs fitted. Most modern cars suffer from corrosion focussed internal stress failure -nothing to do with the way the car is driven but how the springs are manufactured 5 year life is fairly common leading to non standard replacements. Mercedes springs are not immune to this but if you take the car to a good MB dealer at least you will get the correctly rated/ride height springs.

I 100% agree car was messed with before I got it, as LH spring was 5 dots, right was 4 dots, it could the case that the many post on this issue are from people who have had or indoing so messed around with the set up

if I add up all points from card 1 want 5 dots on front, now before it broke spring it had a 4 and 5 dot MB springs and still bottomed out, ps I know its recommended by MB or was you can change only one of pair as they did under warranty on many cars.

replacement spring in pair lessened the bottoming out but did not remove it, they seamed a tad longer but I have a feeling there progressive nature may not have been as great.

aftermarket spring for my car can vary as much as 30mm in length all quoting same OE part number.

if there was not a demand would any company R&D a kit from Germany for a 30mm lift kit?

Yes possible MB spings due to age ect were just feked, or wrong ones fitted and I could just buy 2 new 5 dot as per data card, also possible if I do it will still bottom out.

MB dealer only goes on data card for my car need 5 white dots.

they have no info on difference between 5 white, 5 blue 3 red ect.

Thanks

Tezz

Doesn't the Datacard provide the MB Part Number for the springs? You can't go wrong with original-spec springs.
yep data card , with adding up points shows what springs to fit

Normal everyday driving, you never notice, unless you push it harshly on a bumpy road, like back of Fens or tracks across essex ect.

2nd for looking into it is cost, as car is 90,000 worth fek all and most suspension parts last 5 years you can replace all struts, shox spring damper bump stops front and rear for a lot less than MB.

to do a real test to put back to MB specs, could be more expensive than just 2 spring due to age of all other parts

Tezz. Please don't take this the wrong way but you are asking questions regarding a 15 year old 115bhp 'shopping trolley' of a car as if it were a C63 Black series. What exactly do you expect us to help you with ?

I have no doubt that your car is a fine one but you appear to be asking too much of it . Apologies if my response has offended you .

If I understand correctly, you are struggling to find aftermarket springs that meet the original MB spec, and you don't want to buy genuine MB springs because they are too expensive?

Tezz. Please don't take this the wrong way but you are asking questions regarding a 15 year old 115bhp 'shopping trolley' of a car as if it were a C63 Black series. What exactly do you expect us to help you with ?

I have no doubt that your car is a fine one but you appear to be asking too much of it . Apologies if my response has offended you .
Not offended at all, and agree with it's a shopping trolley.

But it still should not ,leave parts of undertray on road

If I understand correctly, you are struggling to find aftermarket springs that meet the original MB spec, and you don't want to buy genuine MB springs because they are too expensive?
No I'm thinking even with mb spec springs it will do same

My thinking was as sports spring are more progresive towards end of travel and stiffer it could be way to go, most kits seam to be 30mm lower thought so not a good option

Now cheap option just slap on a 30mm spacer on front and say job done

Just buy a range rover no more issue's (sorted)

had a few range rovers , interestingly enough both had serious issues with there suspension, I much prefer the simplicity of the old 110s

but an interesting 85 c123 has sparked my interest on ebay

I understand that the sport suspension is lower and stiffened, but if you bring the car back to MB spec and drive slower over speed bumps and potholes you should be fine... or buyer a car without the sport suspension?

The W168 and its later development the W169 were always going to be compromised suspension wise after the infamous Elk test rollover incident. Mercedes response to this was to lower and stiffen the standard suspension [reduce travel] and add stability control to inhibit the roll characteristics of the A class. The car came with a relatively high centre of gravity due to the sandwich floor concept [bit ironic that it was originally designed to hold batteries back then] the upshot is that the normal suspension in good nick is in effect sports suspension anyway so I doubt that stiffening it up will help much. According to this the W169 has adaptive damping all though I imagine that is achieved by shocker valving rather than anything more sophisticated. In a heavier diesel engined model I would surmise the front struts are pretty crucial and may never have been changed. If determinedto rebuild the front suspension I would replace both struts and springs but appreciate the value of the car may not justify this approach.
SPRING STRUT AND SPRING STRUT MOUNTING FRONT MERCEDES A-KLASSE [Car] [CHASSIS] (EUROPA)

B32054000014.041124.png

Last edited:
Grober

Many thanks for reply, now I understand why it's so low

The car has def been messed with in past, and had a deferent spring on each front wheel one white 4 dot and 1 white 5 dot, looking at list and asuming I need white, points sugest 5 dots is correct

Ideally 2 new MB struts and springs, I think would be way to go, depends on cost to value of car.

It as far as I'm concerned it has no resale value, as it has some issues I would not feel happy passing on to a new owner

So long as it functions to a point , I'm happy to drive it

The after market springs have helped and was realistically only expecting a few years from them and for £ 25 the pair to replace a broken one, was worth a shot

There is a company in Germany that supply fully assembled struts and springs blisteen/kyb between 300-400 quid the pair depending on my vin,card data.

I'm sure car is front heavy, my 3 ton jack fits under rear but not front jacking point

Car drives fine otherwise 90% of time, so guess could just accept it

To me car only has scrap value left in it, but I do enjoy finding fixes to all the issues

Many thanks again

Tezz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom