SUV drivers (MB excepted, of course)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Really am struggling to believe a car can accept 2 tons in its boot space!

Many years ago I helped a friend grit-blast a 50' steel boat hull (a WW2 flying boat fuel tender, if you're interested!) and we moved several tons of grit there in his old Sierra 1.6 estate ... think we did it in two trips though :) No SLS ... the rear suspension was on the bump stops and the front was pointing up in the air :D

They park on the grass verges.

They’re the only ones that can get up the verges to park there!, well in fairness a Rangie would too providing it weren’t sitting on 22 inch low profiles.

A pal filled his S123 ( with a tarp to cover the interior) full of topsoil up to the windows ( full load bay with seats down ) no problem .

ive filled my S124s with bricks , paving slabs , bags of sand/cement & allsorts before and never a problem.

it was Stef Mazzini ( MB master tech ) who pointed it out to me .

also had a 560 V8 in the back of one

Many years ago I helped a friend grit-blast a 50' steel boat hull (a WW2 flying boat fuel tender, if you're interested!) and we moved several tons of grit there in his old Sierra 1.6 estate ... think we did it in two trips though :) No SLS ... the rear suspension was on the bump stops and the front was pointing up in the air :D
Once bought 10 or so 8ft x2ft contiboard sheets, and put them in a Sierra estate. Helped position them in via the rear doors, which we then couldn’t close.....

Had to remove some, close the doors and just push the boards in. Glad it wasn’t my car!

A pal filled his S123 ( with a tarp to cover the interior) full of topsoil up to the windows ( full load bay with seats down ) no problem .

Weight unknown.

ive filled my S124s with bricks , paving slabs , bags of sand/cement & allsorts before and never a problem.

Weight unknown.
also had a 560 V8 in the back of one

engine weights

Weight known. 467lbs. 2100kg = 4620lbs About one tenth then.

Yes! Thank you.

Payloads are in the range 610-650kg.
GVWs in the range 2120-2230kg.

Maybe now it will be appreciated that SUV/trucks do actually offer something cars cannot.
Still think I’d rather have a car that I like, and a trailer for the very occasional time I need a bigger payload. But that’s just me, I appreciate larger vehicles (SUVs?) have their place- I just hope it’s not in the next parking spot to me!

Still think I’d rather have a car that I like, and a trailer for the very occasional time I need a bigger payload. But that’s just me, I appreciate larger vehicles (SUVs?) have their place- I just hope it’s not in the next parking spot to me!

It's in towing that they really excel. But I get the feeling here that you have no requirement for 10,000lb towing capability.

Came close to doing what this thread is based on. It was one of three options. The other two were use the full length of the bay - but the car on the opposite bay had reversed in and would have had to move forward for boot access. So, (option#3) left it some space and the **** of mine hanging out.
Next time, I use all of the bay's length and if anyone opposite reverse parked - their choice, their problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom