SUV Explosion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Benz17

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350d AMG Premium (W213)
Hi All,
Just fascinated by how many Suv owners there are on the roads, and also why so many have been selling since their introduction, would love to know the reason for buyers buying, and also driving pleasure wise are they any different to normal saloon cars.

As some of you maybe aware, my elderly father who is 76 has just recently purchased a NX300h, his sole reason was that it’s easier for him and my mum to get in and out of one them, rather then a normal saloon, 2 months ago i purchased on his instruction/behalf a BMW 330e, as he was abroad at the time, he wanted it bought on his return, now as he didn’t test drive it, on his return and after approximately 2 months of ownership, he decided getting in and out was proving a touch difficult, and would get difficult for both of them further along the line, and the inconvenience of plug in for 11miles range, he decided to bite the bullet and sold it to WBAC, at a loss of 1k, which personally I thought it was not a great loss, my estimate was a loss of around 2k.

Anyway would love to hear from Suv owners and non, as to the reason for purchasing, and also the pros and cons of these vehicles.

Bought our Kuga for space, driving position, ride comfort and high profile tyres.

The road surfaces around here are complete and utter sh*te, the Somme looked in a better state after 4 months of shelling.

We’ve had them since 2005. Great for growing families and if you have dogs. Most drive like cars - ours is the twin turbo diesel X5 which is a great drive. Great load carriers and we have seven seats for all the kids friends too.

as you say they are good for access. Nice high driving position.
My dad has driven the Honda CRV since 2003.

whats not to like? 🤷‍♂️

Mrs D and and I both have an SUV for every-day every-purpose cars. Ease of getting in and out and interior space are important for us, along with the ability to tow and go any-where any-time with winter tyres. The elevated driving position is helpful too, but not the reason to have one.

Drawbacks are limited. It probably uses a little more fuel and won’t handle quite so sweetly on the limit as a smaller saloon, but as we don’t drive anywhere near the limit then that doesn't matter. We prefer sporting SUVs which sharpens the handling slightly, but fuel consumption probably suffers a little more.

Ultimately though, the reason we buy them is that we want a quick car and the ability to tow, which restricts us to SUVs. Unfortunately quick estates and saloons aren’t type approved for towing which rules them out as “main” cars for us.

We’ve had them since 2005. Great for growing families and if you have dogs. Most drive like cars - ours is the twin turbo diesel X5 which is a great drive. Great load carriers and we have seven seats for all the kids friends too.

as you say they are good for access. Nice high driving position.
My dad has driven the Honda CRV since 2003.

whats not to like? 🤷‍♂️
I like the X5, they also get good reviews, along with the Q5, I am the opposite as far as high driving position is concerned, that is the bit i don't like, with my father's previous b class, and the NX, buy that could be just me being used to a saloon driving position.

We're on our second mini-SUV, the Suzuki Vitara replaced the Kia Soul, mini-SUVs make for extremely practical family cars.

That said, I have never owned a full-size SUV... a local American mother used to drive a Cadillac Escalade (another GM car similar to the Suburban), a nightmare on the school run for other parents....

We’ve had them since 2005. Great for growing families and if you have dogs.

The high load floor (compared to an estate) isn't great for dogs though. People often end up having to lift older ones in and out, which can be an issue with some breeds. As my friend with a RAV4 and a 55 kg Newfoundland discovered.

The high load floor (compared to an estate) isn't great for dogs though. People often end up having to lift older ones in and out, which can be an issue with some breeds. As my friend with a RAV4 and a 55 kg Newfoundland discovered.
Would be funnier if he lived in a flat.

Would be funnier if he lived in a flat.

The funny bit was that the dog was clinically hyperactive, and when younger jumped through a closed window at their (Listed) barn conversion. While charging round the garden it also ran straight through a greenhouse (in one side and out the other). Both times without any injury, I hasten to add :)

The funny bit was that the dog was clinically hyperactive, and when younger jumped through a closed window at their (Listed) barn conversion. While charging round the garden it also ran straight through a greenhouse (in one side and out the other). Both times without any injury, I hasten to add :)

I had a dog like that in my youth... I lived in a block of flats where the lobby had two glass doors, the dog used to run up to them and then jump on the door on the right and push it open, until one day he jumped on the door but it didn't open and he shattered the glass... no injuries, luckily.

Not sure it qualified as an SUV, but had a Grand Cherokee 5.7 for about 10 years and bloody loved it. A bit truck-like in many ways, but despite the size it was still entertaining to drive. Ran it on LPG so fuel-wise it gave a cost equivalent of about 25-30mpg. Hugely practical thing for lugging junk about, only had a few relatively minor issues while we had it.

Still kind of wish I’d kept that and sold the C350e instead tbh. We’ve had multiple cars a long time now, but have both been retired a while and as I’d just completed building a 4th car for the fleet, something had to go. We now have the C, a Westfield I built for the missus 30 years ago and the thing I've just finished for myself.

FB7AE55D-DD5E-4370-AC37-386AE8ADC8B2.jpeg

While owners love them for their practicality ,Manufacturers love them because they are profitable. Using very little increase in raw materials costs they can charge several thousand pounds more than the same hatchback/saloon platform and running gear on which they are based. [In the compact models at least] In essence they are selling you an increased volume of air. ;)

Not what I was expecting after reading the thread title...
😀 yes if I wasn’t the thread starter, then I would have also expected to see🚒🧨💥 but you know the old saying never judge a book by it’s cover.

After a 16 year gap we have recently bought our second SUV, frankly, I love it. very easy to drive, glides over potholes on balloon tyres and surprisingly sprightly.
I think that a smallish SUV and a 2 seater sports car will be our future Unless I get tempted by a camper again.

Mercedes S class are crap in snow, as my daily driver. Work in Aberdeen, 80 mile commute, so thought Range rover are the best, so bought one for the winter commute. Since then its hardly snowed during the winter so not really needed. Now on my third but love everything about it. Thought about a Merc SUV when changing my first one, had a look, but never even took it for a test drive, could not compare. Think the most offroading I have done is climbing a pavement. Pretty good at that:)
Must say, the experience day you get for free when buying a new one is something else. Amazing what they can do especially hill descent & the angles they can achieve is unbelievable. Also pretty good at climbing pavements😀

Last edited:
While owners love them for their practicality ,Manufacturers love them because they are profitable. Using very little increase in raw materials costs they can charge several thousand pounds more than the same hatchback/saloon platform and running gear on which they are based. [In the compact models at least] In essence they are selling you an increased volume of air. ;)
This is very true, as the cost of them seems much higher then the hatchback/saloon platform, hadn’t realised till recently after doing some research that they are based on the hatchback/saloon platform. I.e Glc/Gle/Gls are based on c/e/s class, and x1/x3/x5 based on 1/3/5 series, a school day every day I guess.

Mercedes S class are crap in snow, as my daily driver. Work in Aberdeen, 80 mile commute, so thought Range rover are the best, so bought one for the winter commute. Since then its hardly snowed during the winter so not really needed. Now on my third but love everything about it. Thought about a Merc SUV when changing my first one, had a look, but never even took it for a test drive, could not compare. Think the most offroading I have done is climbing a pavement. Pretty good at that:)
Must say, the experience day you get for free when buying a new one is something else. Amazing what they can do especially hill decent & the angles they can achieve is unbelievable. Also pretty good at climbing pavements😀
How is the Range Rover drive wise and reliability, as one reads so much that reliability is not their strongest point, they look the bees knees in my opinion.

There is a lot on RRSPORT forum about broken crankshafts. Don't really know how often it happens as forums are usually about problems, not how good they are. If it happens, new engine required, many thousands££, and Range rover are not the best at helping out from what I can gather. Personally speaking, the only thing I claimed on warranty on my second one was the paint on the rear Brembo callipers was flaking & had them replaced twice with no quibble. They also said my front brake discs needed replacing for rust after only 6000 miles. I took it elsewhere to have them checked, nothing wrong, two years later they are still fine. The dealer was obviously chancing his arm. I think that they are the best SUV around ( probably put a curse on it now). Best looking as well, forget your Bentley or Mercedes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom