SUV Explosion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I given one of those as a rental in the US once - most are 2WD and, I think 3.6 litre V6's. The V8 was awesome but it was the one trip were I had to do a lot of miles - even on long runs at a steady 70 it was showing 11 MPG (US).
I had the 4wd - it was good for dune bashing on the weekends.

It's like a mini UN convoy when they all set off.
Haha I live near a school and it resembles a military tour led by frank spencer some mornings. Carnage.

Why they put themselves through the ordeal of manoeuvring those tanks I really donā€™t know. A Golf would surely make that school run less of a chore?

Unfortunately, a lot, I mean a lot, of SUV drivers believe their cars can do anything. You sit up high & feel insulated. The cars are very capable as I said earlier about the experience day, but on a snowy or icy road, what comes charging past, an SUV, probably on summer tyres (which do not work below 7 degrees C) & they forget when they do slam on the brakes the law of physics applies & they slide down the road & into someone else or worse. What happened there, cos I've got a 4x4:mad:

^^^ Yet at the first hint of snow they all stay safely in their garages as "It's far too dangerous" to take Persephone and Dartagnan to school.

Unfortunately, a lot, I mean a lot, of SUV drivers believe their cars can do anything. You sit up high & feel insulated. The cars are very capable as I said earlier about the experience day, but on a snowy or icy road, what comes charging past, an SUV, probably on summer tyres (which do not work below 7 degrees C) & they forget when they do slam on the brakes the law of physics applies & they slide down the road & into someone else or worse. What happened there, cos I've got a 4x4:mad:

I've seen that a number of times. At least modern electronic stability control systems have reduced the tendency for them to fall over in the dry due to the higher centre of gravity and 'off road' suspension. Although this must mean they understeer sooner than a lower vehicle would in the same circumstances (again, basic physics will always apply!).

Without doubt they are a lifestyle choice and can be an aid for the more elderly getting in and out.

My partner and I both have an SUV with the SL as a play thing.

As she came for the Dales and we will both be moving back there before the end of the year they are a sensible choice.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-01-19 124355.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-01-19 124355.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Jimmny.jpg
    Jimmny.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 708f645c9e7d4e808af36c627fee86ba (1).jpg
    708f645c9e7d4e808af36c627fee86ba (1).jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 7
As above, space, ease of access and road conditions (55 profile tyres just wouldn't work on my E class coupe).

Am keeping the V6 for a while longer, but when it goes it will be for a bigger tyred car, so likely an SUV ( or pick up, hmmmm...?)

A lot of folk with 4 wheel drive seem to forget everyone has 4 wheel brakesā€¦..

I like them when Iā€™m driving in one. Hate them when Iā€™m behind one (esp. in the SL) & and cannot see the road ahead. When we replace the wifeā€™s B, it will be for a small SUV, mainly for height.

As above, space, ease of access and road conditions (55 profile tyres just wouldn't work on my E class coupe).

Am keeping the V6 for a while longer, but when it goes it will be for a bigger tyred car, so likely an SUV ( or pick up, hmmmm...?)
Being from Africa where we love a pick-ups (bakkies as they are called there) , Iā€™ve been trying to get my wife into one:wallbash: (Amarok or X-class) IMO they are a lot of bang for your buck. I cannot think of a more practical vehicle than a nice twin / crew cab. However she refuses.......:wallbash::mad:

it will be for a small SUV, mainly for height.

Same reason the wife chose the Juke , it was easier for her mum to get in / out of. Not the most dynamic of vehicles but it gets the job done and having owned two over the last six years they have been 100% reliable.

Now that the MIL is no longer with us the wife is now talking about getting a Mini (car not skirt) and her not being a petrolhead i have convinced her she needs the JCW ;)

K

I interpreted that differently. Youā€™ve missed important context from your quote. Itā€™s not suggesting that Fiestas are inferior to the SUV which is built upon the same platform.

Instead itā€™s suggesting that the SUV version is more expensive despite the input costs being largely the same, and because there is no ā€œoff roadā€ hardware itā€™s a tall Fiesta.
Which is why I qualified men statement by saying how it sounds to me.

Being from Africa where we love a pick-ups (bakkies as they are called there) , Iā€™ve been trying to get my wife into one:wallbash: (Amarok or X-class) IMO they are a lot of bang for your buck.

Particularly the X Class? I imagine values took a big hit when MB axed it less than 3 years after the launch.

Particularly the X Class? I imagine values took a big hit when MB axed it less than 3 years after the launch.
Yea, Iā€™d have purchased the Nissan.

The Xclass = [Nissan] was never sold in the land of the pickup truck the USA- perhaps for that reason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom