SUV Explosion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've owned four 4x4, I've always thought SUV's were the jacked up 2wd 4x4 lookalike ;).

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2009 Mercedes ML320
2012 Mercedes ML350

The Jeeps were most fun as I was a member of a Jeep club and took them to offroad events (both had all terrain tyres), the MB's were great as comfortable all purpose daily runabouts. I would have another 4x4 but I think choosing would be a bit of an issue given I have no clue what I would like. :)

I have a soft spot for the old ZJ/WJ Grand Cherokee. The diesel with the 2.7 om612/Merc auto would make vague sense if you could find one in decent condition?

Horrid huge ugly heavy things, hope to never own one.

They are not for me, rather have a proper three box saloon any day :)

I have a soft spot for the old ZJ/WJ Grand Cherokee. The diesel with the 2.7 om612/Merc auto would make vague sense if you could find one in decent condition?
I preferred the WJ to the WK. I had the 2.7 CRD. That Jeep literally would go anywhere and it wasn't even lifted.

There's a couple across the road from me. He's got a Range Rover, she's got a Lexus 4WD something-or-other. No kids, no dogs. A couple of doors down is a new family with Passat CC (never used) and a Q8. The latter is regularly used to ferry one adult plus their only child round London. Also no dogs involved. They're all quite young, too.

It's like a mini UN convoy when they all set off.
I don’t think the UN would risk using a Range Rover :p .

Our first SUV was the diesel version of the SQ5, coming out of an Audi A6 Avant 2.0 multitronic it was a big step up ( see what I did there! ) Wife really liked it, especially the driving position. We chopped it in for a 530d touring which was a big mistake, wife really missed the higher driving position of the SUV, so after only having the 530 for 2 years we chopped it in for an X4 M40i, it’s a very capable family car and performance wise it’s decent too.......it’s just not near as much fun as my C63!

My wife has a blue badge, uses a walking stick and has done for 15 years or so (she's only in her mid 50's :( ). Shes got a GLA (on her 2nd one in 4 year), because she can step in and out of it rather than sitting down and standing up as you do in a "normal" car.
She does not like being in my CLA as it's so low and difficult to get in and out of, she sort of drops into the seat :)

I don’t think the UN would risk using a Range Rover :p .
Are Range Rovers really as bad as people suggest, they look really good, but are they just style over substance.

Are Range Rovers really as bad as people suggest, they look really good, but are they just style over substance.
They do look great. I think you need to be careful what model you go for. I have a mate that has leased them for years and had some major issues - one had to be replaced and another recently had a new engine 😳

another friend had an early sport as a company car and loved it so much he bought it from the company.

my local garage has told me some horror stories about relatively new cars, leaking windscreens and engine problems. The 3.6 V8 diesel though appears to have great reviews and would be the one I would go for..

Hahaha saw a bloke refuse to try taking his 21 plate ML through a local width restriction, (7ft 6in) which caused chaos as all behind him had to shuffle back to allow him to execute a poor 10 point turn, to take another route.

There was of course plenty of room for him to have got through, I take the van through there!

I bet 95% of 4x4/SUVs never go anywhere wilder than sainsburys car park :D

Hahaha saw a bloke refuse to try taking his 21 plate ML through a local width restriction, (7ft 6in) which caused chaos as all behind him had to shuffle back to allow him to execute a poor 10 point turn, to take another route.

There was of course plenty of room for him to have got through, I take the van through there!

Maybe concerned about damaging his wheels, although 7’6” doesn’t sound too tight, even for an ML/GLE. Those wheels are expensive though…

A 7'6" width restrictor seems quite generous, most round here are 7' (though probably have a few inches grace in reality).

Recently I was tailgated aggressively by a pushy Discovery driver all the way down a long 20mph road with speed bumps. At the width restrictor that I knew was at the end, I sailed though barely needing to slow down (I was in a small city car, not the E). By the time he'd slowed and squeezed though I was across the next traffic lights and far away, leaving him to sit at a long red light. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom