Suzzie, the CLK 500 so this happened

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
EGR valve time,

Fiddly is the way to describe it due to lack of room,

The replacement “peirburg” unit same as fitted when new came without the exhaust tube to inlet manifold so I found it easier to leave this unbolted but still in it’s original position.

Remove the Air flow meter, and breather box from the manifold.

Unbolting the the Egr valve which is held in place by 2 E drives. The bracket for the atf dipstick also needs tobe removed but dip stick does not need to come out of the gearbox, Loom is held to this bracket and will need tobe unclip from the bracket.

Unclip the Egr plug connector and vacuum hose from the inlet disconnect this from the unit not the manifold it eases replacement of the new part.
Once all unbolted swing the entire unit out so you access the 24mm nut for the exhaust tube.
I used rust off by worth and the nut cracked off Nicely being careful not to damage the exhaust tube.

Now it’s disconnected you can swing the unit up and out and refit the new item in reverse order.
61639840-1B59-4B9B-A396-D9D2577B94E1.jpeg
8EC571BF-0E2F-419E-9287-B7072257C14F.jpeg
5AC6B607-C4AF-42AB-A0BF-D3579AF5AE7E.jpeg
25AB2F2A-95D1-4ADE-BC97-6FFE60D33E62.jpeg
D7E90556-5DBF-4715-BE67-55F1A297AC61.jpeg
C3203A36-FE65-4F14-9174-3BBE7941E492.jpeg
New unit back in.

Last edited:
Did it cure the tap lol 😂 nope but the car feels ultra smooth and sounds very quiet.

Source of the tap may be a slack lifter as she doesn’t do it all the time usually only from “cold” and can only be heard inside the car with roof up accelerating under partial load up steep hills for instance.

Or of course it just may well being picky I know the lumps are generally louder than other m’s.
Still it does seem quieter and it was nice being able to clean up alittle too. 😂

EGRs are orrible and should be banned.

How on earth we ever got from simple combustion engines to making them so dammed complicated is anyones guess.

Did it cure the tap lol 😂 nope but the car feels ultra smooth and sounds very quiet.

Source of the tap may be a slack lifter as she doesn’t do it all the time usually only from “cold” and can only be heard inside the car with roof up accelerating under partial load up steep hills for instance.

Or of course it just may well being picky I know the lumps are generally louder than other m’s.
Still it does seem quieter and it was nice being able to clean up alittle too. 😂
Did you find the source of the tap?

Did you find the source of the tap?
In my head i think lol.

I think and it is just a inkling the very back hydraulic lifter is tappingm on the RH bank,

i can get these at a very reasonable price through work, so when the weather warms up im going to take the cam cover off and investigate,

It is very minor atm and tbh all these m113's suffer with valve train noises to some degree, but i am picky lol

In my head i think lol.

I think and it is just a inkling the very back hydraulic lifter is tappingm on the RH bank,

i can get these at a very reasonable price through work, so when the weather warms up im going to take the cam cover off and investigate,

It is very minor atm and tbh all these m113's suffer with valve train noises to some degree, but i am picky lol
Glad to hear you're on top of it.

By the way, I came across this thread via your sales post when trawling the internet looking for a CLK for sale, Very interesting read and the car looks great, must be one of the cleanest out there.

You? Never! lol

Does it happen with higher mileage cars and would a thicker oil help?
Maybe, i think she has sat about abit at 73k its not high but they could get gummed up if its had short trips etc.

anyway i've ordered all 8 new lifters so may aswel replace them all job done then, It will also give me a chance to reseal the rocker covers and give them a good clean up perhaps even paint them, nothing ott just silver as they should be.

Thankyou Finbar, she is a lovely cruise

Decided to get the engine mounts done 1st, but i will leave that for a mechanic to sort think it will be slot easier on a ramp.

Gave the old girl wash and machine polish today followed by Megs gold class paste wax.
4F88D5A2-2929-47EA-A12E-EE4015EABDF2.jpeg
523D76A8-3B18-43F5-A9EE-C910D20581A6.jpeg
6777E5CE-C8A8-44B7-8959-105BA5A12530.jpeg
B207C1AF-1B56-4C58-B936-4F8F80F7C6B0.jpeg

Attachments

• 21994501-87BD-455B-83A1-8F59DEA33FF4.jpeg
    21994501-87BD-455B-83A1-8F59DEA33FF4.jpeg
    117.8 KB · Views: 3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom