Swapped w204 C63 for w205 C63 - Thoughts & Pics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Iggu

Car
C63 AMG
Hopefully this might be of use to some.

After just over 2 years' very happy ownership of a w204 Palladium Silver C63 Saloon I have just changed to a w205 C63 Saloon in Obsidian Black with Switchable Exhaust, Pan Roof, 19" wheels, Night Pack and Red Leather. The old car was bought for £34k with 14,000 miles on the clock and sold for £24k with 30,000 miles on the clock in part-ex for this new car which is a 2016 model with 9,000 miles on the clock which I got for £37k.

I loved the 6.2 and apart from needing an aircon regas nothing went wrong with it at all in 2 years of sporting ownership but .... I have to say this car is better on virtually every level. The noise (with the switchable exhaust) is so much fun, the seats are much nicer, the interior is on a different level and the way the car accelerates low down with all that turbo torque is fantastic. I haven't looked at the mpg (I never looked on the 6.2 either so I have no comparisons to offer here). The Obsidian Black is a tricky colour to keep clean so I had it fully detailed and paint corrected and then a treatment of GTechniq Crystal Serum was applied - so far a foam, rinse and quick wipe down with AutoGlym Rapid Detailer is keeping it looking mint.

In terms of options, obviously I have nothing else to compare it against but I'd say the Switchable Exhaust and Pan Roof were my "must have" options as they really transform the two most important parts of the car for me - the interior and the driving experience. I also wanted the wood dash and not the piano gloss version which is a scratch magnet. The Night Pack looks mean (this was a bonus as I wasn't looking for it).

If anyone is thinking of making a similar switch I wouldn't hesitate as this is a noticeable improvement in terms of ownership and enjoyment. The only downside is that my 6.2 was probably at the end of its depreciation curve (I thought £10k in 2 years and 16,000 miles was pretty good but the next owner will probably get virtually cost free ownership I'd imagine) but I don't own these cars with economy in mind.

Some (bad phone) pics if interested

20190226_120358_zps8ds3rp6r.jpg

20190226_120141_zpspv4bcvyq.jpg

20190226_121516_zpsqftulmiz.jpg

20190226_120134_zpse3lbuaug.jpg

20190226_121536_zpsn1to9nvd.jpg

Hopefully this might be of use to some.

After just over 2 years' very happy ownership of a w204 Palladium Silver C63 Saloon I have just changed to a w205 C63 Saloon in Obsidian Black with Switchable Exhaust, Pan Roof, 19" wheels, Night Pack and Red Leather. The old car was bought for £34k with 14,000 miles on the clock and sold for £24k with 30,000 miles on the clock in part-ex for this new car which is a 2016 model with 9,000 miles on the clock which I got for £37k.

I loved the 6.2 and apart from needing an aircon regas nothing went wrong with it at all in 2 years of sporting ownership but .... I have to say this car is better on virtually every level. The noise (with the switchable exhaust) is so much fun, the seats are much nicer, the interior is on a different level and the way the car accelerates low down with all that turbo torque is fantastic. I haven't looked at the mpg (I never looked on the 6.2 either so I have no comparisons to offer here). The Obsidian Black is a tricky colour to keep clean so I had it fully detailed and paint corrected and then a treatment of GTechniq Crystal Serum was applied - so far a foam, rinse and quick wipe down with AutoGlym Rapid Detailer is keeping it looking mint.

In terms of options, obviously I have nothing else to compare it against but I'd say the Switchable Exhaust and Pan Roof were my "must have" options as they really transform the two most important parts of the car for me - the interior and the driving experience. I also wanted the wood dash and not the piano gloss version which is a scratch magnet. The Night Pack looks mean (this was a bonus as I wasn't looking for it).

If anyone is thinking of making a similar switch I wouldn't hesitate as this is a noticeable improvement in terms of ownership and enjoyment. The only downside is that my 6.2 was probably at the end of its depreciation curve (I thought £10k in 2 years and 16,000 miles was pretty good but the next owner will probably get virtually cost free ownership I'd imagine) but I don't own these cars with economy in mind.

Some (bad phone) pics if interested

20190226_120358_zps8ds3rp6r.jpg

20190226_120141_zpspv4bcvyq.jpg

20190226_121516_zpsqftulmiz.jpg

20190226_120134_zpse3lbuaug.jpg

20190226_121536_zpsn1to9nvd.jpg
Perfect colour and wheel combo, loving the seat combination, thumbs up from me!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I really like the sleek and sharp looks of the W205 and also think they’re a vast improvement on the the W204 too.

All the best with it, looks like you’ve got a cracker!

Great choice :) the W205 is a much nicer package overall.
I did a similar swop around 4 months ago and haven't looked back.

Nice car, seats are lovely.
I don't think I'd ever have another black car personally. Difficult to look after and maintain swirl free paint work.
Having said that, they look absolutely fantastic when all nicely polished and waxed.

Superb, lovely car you have there. I test drove a 2017 w205 C63 coupe (non S) with the switchable exhaust. The sound was amazing, certainly good enough compared to my 6.2. I think I've read somewhere that the coupés are louder than the saloons?

Thanks for the comments. The other thing I didn't comment on was the Burmester sound upgrade which this car has - I'm not sure how much this option is but to me the sound doesn't seem much better than the (basic) sound system in my w204. Admittedly I've only listened to Spotify through Bluetooth and the radio so far as I'm too busy listening to the exhaust notes. If i was speccing a car from new I'm not sure I'd be that bothered about this option .... any thoughts?

Mine has the Burmester sound system in it and, like you, I'm a bit non-plussed with it. It doesn't really stand out as far as I'm concerned.

Having said that it was a no cost option on mine and, as I'm a bit older, it's on Radio 2 90% of the time anyway, so probably wasted on me...

I believe the Burmester system is branded as such because they did the acoustic tuning rather than it using their speakers. Hence, it's not especially amazing.

Nice one! If I’d stayed AMG that was a high contender
I considered so many other cars before settling on this. I'm by no means an AMG loyalist or fanboy and have owned lots of different cars by different manufacturers but I kept coming back to this. I'm only 2 weeks into it but dare I say it ..... it has more character than my 6.2 w204. I found that engine only really burst into full life at big speeds on empty roads but this one makes me laugh on the school run doing 20mph.

Odd view as the general consensus is the 6.2 has more character...

Obviously subjective but in my opinion the M156 is interesting at all engine speeds, largely because of the aural delights it delivers but it also has a big chested feel that comes from a large capacity.

I love this thread, it's great to hear the thoughts of owners who have took the plunge and opted for the more advanced technology of the newer generation of AMG and not regretted it. I know there will be some stories on the flip side of this as I know the M156 and 204 series are an amazing combination, but life moves on.

As I have to keep explaining to the wife, it's not the size that matters.............................

Odd view as the general consensus is the 6.2 has more character...

Obviously subjective but in my opinion the M156 is interesting at all engine speeds, largely because of the aural delights it delivers but it also has a big chested feel that comes from a large capacity.
I do agree - I owned my 6.2 for over 2 years and took it on some amazing adventures. I loved it but ... have you tried both and compared? I think you'd be surprised.

re Burmester, that should really be the base system. As has been said before, there aren't any Burmester components in it, it's only 'tuned' by them. OTOH, if I had the base system, I would have torn all six of my ears out by now or replaced the whole system with something else...

I do agree - I owned my 6.2 for over 2 years and took it on some amazing adventures. I loved it but ... have you tried both and compared? I think you'd be surprised.
I haven't tried the M177 but I'd like to. I'm sure there are things I'd like about it, such as more low down power and better fuel economy. Right now it's probably best I don't try one as I might find myself wanting one and I'm not ready to chuck an extra wad of cash at it.

I like the looks of both 204 and 205 interiors/exteriors and I have all the tech I need in the 204 (apart from stop start for the city part of my commute). Therefore, as I'm currently happy I feel less inclined to look seriously at a 205 (yet)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom