Swapping an E55 for an E220 CDI

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BQF

Car
E55 AMG 2004
Folks
Find I'm not using my 2004 E55, and am seeing a dealer tomorrow with a view to swapping it for an E220. Keen to save £330 on tax, lower insurance, halve my fuel costs, and brakes/tyres/servicing etc. plus the E220 is three years younger.

Am I mad? I do love the speed of the E55 but I'm worried ill lose my licence eventually! Plus I have a couple of other V8s and the tax and fuel all adds up...

Finally, what mpg am i likely to get from a W211 E220 - in the real world. I had an E270 before the E55 and I could get 700 miles from 80 litres (280 in the E55!!)

Thanks

Surely a 2004 E55 is only £270 road fund licence? My CLS55 (2005) is...

The E320cdi will give you more of the "feel" of the 55, if not the outright performance. Good compromise I reckon, whereas the 220 although probably more robust will not feel anything like a "fast" car... :)

The E320cdi will give you more of the "feel" of the 55, if not the outright performance. Good compromise I reckon, whereas the 220 although probably more robust will not feel anything like a "fast" car... :)

It's economy I'm after I think. Sick of filling up, esp with fuel prices what they are. Reckon ill be doing 27,000 miles a year, and it will add up....

get the new bmw 320 diesel... gives up to 68mpg according to a colleague...

whats good for your wallet is not always good for your soul though...

:eek:

I am in a similar predicament. My business partner just offered me his 4 year old ML320 CDi at a good price and I'm thinking to sell my Nissan Navarra and my E55k, and compromise with one in-between vehicle. Problem is I really do love my E55 and think I might regret it. I only do about 8000 miles a year so it's not so much the fuel, but I've always been sensible and it just seems to make sense, or does it?

Depends on the type of driving you do but my 211 averaged 47-48 mpg, mostly motorway driving, and never dropped below 40 with a mixture of motorway / town driving. Very reliable too, no major issues over big miles.

The best I achieved was 60.9 on a very careful run to Southampton, driving like Miss Daisy, never to be repeated.

Not quite as fast as the E55 though ;)

Last edited:
I am in a similar predicament. My business partner just offered me his 4 year old ML320 CDi at a good price and I'm thinking to sell my Nissan Navarra and my E55k, and compromise with one in-between vehicle. Problem is I really do love my E55 and think I might regret it. I only do about 8000 miles a year so it's not so much the fuel, but I've always been sensible and it just seems to make sense, or does it?

I see you're in East Kent - I'm in West Kent. Maybe it's a Kent thing!

I worry I'll miss the E55, but I forecast over the next year ill do 27,000 miles. Even adjusting for the higher price of diesel, I'll save £6,758 a year :eek:

I see you're in East Kent - I'm in West Kent. Maybe it's a Kent thing!

I worry I'll miss the E55, but I forecast over the next year ill do 27,000 miles. Even adjusting for the higher price of diesel, I'll save £6,758 a year :eek:

Then problem solved - Do the swap and treat yourself to a bloody nice holiday in the Bahamas :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom