Swapping the CL55 for a 911 - Mad??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeAMG

Car
CL55 AMG
Hi all

I'm thinking about getting rid of the CL55 for a change to a 911. So my CL is pretty much spotless, no corrosion, no leaks, only 48k miles. I've spent the year covering all the area's that can cause issues with these, and just done a full (all fluids and filters) B Service.

It drives perfectly, there's nothing that needs doing so why am I thinking of getting rid of it? The 911 will need me to add about £5k and I'll still end up with a car that's done more miles and has just as many mechanical and expensive 'clouds' hanging over it.

Have I gone mad?

very different cars ..

911 is at least 400kgs lighter than the CL, and of course, you have an engine in the boot

very different cars ..

911 is at least 400kgs lighter than the CL, and of course, you have an engine in the boot
Ah and you have both!

If I could have more than one car it wouldn't go anywhere. But it's a bit dare I say it boring to drive

which 911 are you thinking of?

Probably a face-lift 996 C2, don't think I'll be able to stretch to a C4s unfortunately. Let alone a GT3, I have a friend with a 997 GT3 RS in Black and Orange which is amazing.

My 996 wasn't that brilliant TBH but on the plus side it was mega reliable. I drove a Cayman the other day and despite approaching it with a " its a boxster with a roof attitude" it was a really good well composed well behaved car, much better handling than I remember the 996. Guess it depends if you need those 2 rear seats or not?

I actually wish I had not driven the Cayman as could have probably saved myself a fortune by buying one of those instead of the R8 :doh:

any 996, 997 (excluding GT and Turbos) or Cayman before DFI engines were introduced in 2008/9 have the old engines with IMS issues .. in short, if IMS goes, you need a new engine.

GT3s are very different cars to other 911s. I didn't really enjoy 911s until I drove a GT3, and that was it :)

Factor in £1500+vat for the ims bearing upgrade.
What sort of price range are you looking at?

Factor in £1500+vat for the ims bearing upgrade.
What sort of price range are you looking at?

£15kish I guess, would depend on what I can get for the 55K

any 996, 997 (excluding GT and Turbos) or Cayman before DFI engines were introduced in 2008/9 have the old engines with IMS issues .. in short, if IMS goes, you need a new engine.

GT3s are very different cars to other 911s. I didn't really enjoy 911s until I drove a GT3, and that was it :)

It's a dead easy rebuild in those engines though but if I bought one I'd do the IMS bearing upgrade first job about £1k up here at an indie

DFI the better bet though and the GT3 is awesome a different league all together drove a few round the ring

Last edited:
Had a 911 many years ago.
As an only car (which mine was for a while) the lack of boot space and seats for adults can be frustrating. A GT3 is wonderful toy - not for everyday.
Agree with the Cayman idea - easily as capable as a 3.4 996. In fact the mid-engine does make them a bit more fun and easier to tame.
Never be a fast as an AMG or as easy to drive (ignoring the Turbos).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom