Swindon ditches speed cameras

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Satch

MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 E320Cdi Avantgarde Estate & Toyota Land Cruiser
Sensible chap that councillor (thought the name rang a bell ;)).

Whether it is right or wrong (personally I think rightly) you have to applaud him for taking decision. It shows that someone somewhere is thinking for themselves (not of themselves) and doing something different.

Well done Swindon. Well done conservatives.

Thats 2 statements I never imagined saying.:)

i note he says they are withdrawning funds because all the revenue goes to the government. maybe if it comes back to them, it might be different?

Tickets are taxes. Camera tickets are cheating. Out-and-out cheating.

i note he says they are withdrawning funds because all the revenue goes to the government. maybe if it comes back to them, it might be different?

Without a shadow of doubt. All about money, not safety now.

Swindon Borough Council wants to withdraw the £400,000 annual funding it pays the local safety camera partnership.

I'm confused. Does this mean that traffic cameras don't generate enough revenue to cover the cost of the Speed Camera Partnerships.?
Surely if they did then the councils wouldn't have to subsidise them.

The damn things are dangerous.
Stamping on the brakes when they're spotted and then getting back up to a sensible speed.
They cause delays, traffic snarl ups and cost a bloody fortune.
Get rid of the damn things.

Why do you need to brake if driving at the limit.?:rolleyes: :confused:

Put simply, if the majority consider that the limit is wrong for the road, then it probably is.

Millions of miles of dual carriageways and fast A roads nationwide have had their posted limits reduced from 60 or 70 right down to 40mph and then had camera's positioned on route. Motorists who've safely travelled on those roads for 20+ years at the higher limits know full well that its more about finance than safety and hence choose to drive using their heads according to the conditions rather than constantly being on the alert for the latest set of restrictions.

I don't know but lots of people do (brake).

The sort of idiots who flash by a 70 camera and then brake down to below 60 *and* cut into the inner lane (like.... why?) deserve 6 points.

Put simply, if the majority consider that the limit is wrong for the road, then it probably is.

Millions of miles of dual carriageways and fast A roads nationwide have had their posted limits reduced from 60 or 70 right down to 40mph and then had camera's positioned on route. Motorists who've safely travelled on those roads for 20+ years at the higher limits know full well that its more about finance than safety and hence choose to drive using their heads according to the conditions rather than constantly being on the alert for the latest set of restrictions.

Indeed.

Last edited:
Last edited:

Imagine a large artic going past someone pushing a baby in a buggy on that pavement. There is only one pavement, the other side is grass verge. I would not want to be the parent pushing my child along there with allsorts going past at 50 or more. I can fully understand why, in this particular instance the limit is 30mph. Even thought the road seems straight and with excellent visibility.
However, there ARE many roads where the limit could be safely raised. But not that one.

Last edited:
Why do you need to brake if driving at the limit.?:rolleyes: :confused:

You dont - just most people do - they don't know exactly what speed they are doing (as they were looking at the road not the speedo and thus have an approx idea of he speed only), and/or exactly what the speed limit is (as its not always that clear, and no one seems to put the speed limit on tha back of the cameras), see a speed camera, hit the brakes then think. They then take their eyes of the road to look at their speedos
Natural inclination if you ask me, as they give you points that take away your livelyhood if you get too many

I dont know how many times the person in front of me has suddenly braked to 30mpg when in 40mph zones (when they come across a camera)

I'm not against speed cameras, just against unequal priorities given to different laws.

Richard

why would you choose that road to push your buggy in?
might as well say that for all the country roads that have NSL should be 30mph

Thats NOT a minor "country road". I think its the A40.
As for buggy pushing, it depends where you might live and need to go.
It was only meant to be a comment and was just my own feelings/thoughts.
Not many minor back/country roads are now NSL round my way. Most are now 40mph max.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom