Swine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chandlerp

Had my C180K for just about a month and some scrote as ripped the star off the bonnet.

Mindless vandalism. They didn't even want it. They threw the star on the floor

Gutted for you...

Options:
- file the inside of the star so that when they try ripping it off they cut their hands
- run a thin cable over the back. Wire up a capacitor to it so when said swine touches both sides they get a little jolt... preferably find a capacitor that's at least a farad
- or just admin defeat and fit a sports star

..bought one off ebay for twelve quid. Not going to buy a genuine if that is going to happen regularly. The joy of living by a school.......................................

- run a thin cable over the back. Wire up a capacitor to it so when said swine touches both sides they get a little jolt... preferably find a capacitor that's at least a farad

I recognize you're probably not serious here, but...

It's not capacitance you need to give a shock, but voltage. Most >1F caps are low voltage, often for propping up inadequate amplifier wiring in car audio. You could charge a 10F cap up to 12V and touch the terminals with no effect, exactly as you can touch car battery terminals with no effect. It's current that gives a human body a shock sensation, and good old Ohm's law means you need a higher voltage to overcome the body's resistance. You'd start to notice above about 25-30V and things become decidedly uncomfortable above 50V. The capacitor is merely acting like a small-capacity battery with a high peak current capability.

You'd want moderate capacitance combined with higher voltage - depending how much of a shock you want to provide. Of course, you'd then need the circuitry to charge it to that voltage and the "shock wire" would have to be insulated from the rest of the car, even if it got wet.

Also, this would undoubtably be illegal if it could be viewed as intending to harm others, regardless of their intentions.

........run a thin cable over the back. Wire up a capacitor to it so when said swine touches both sides they get a little jolt... preferably find a capacitor that's at least a farad................

Perhaps Mercedes should develop a factory fit version of this idea.

Can we call it TASERTRONIC :thumb:

You may have got off lightly- as quite often the offender uses the broken stub of the star ornament to scratch an "endearing message" on your paintwork. If you thought a hood ornament was expensive try a bonnet respray! :eek:

Troon - caught me out there ;) I was thinking more on the lines of the capacitors in the old CRT screens... but had no idea what capacity they were, so thought of one of those cylinders that you see all to often in hellfrauds...

Fully agree though - the caps in CRTs had some ridiculous voltage going through them...

As for the legality - Tasertronic (I like the name ;) ) isn't designed to harm people, it's purely a way to increase fuel efficiency by creating a mercedes emblem shaped force field in front of the car when driving... it may have some unreported side effects as it's still in trial... (in the same way that parking sensors may interfere with speed cameras)

M.

(edit: tasertronic exists I'm afraid, as well as the tasertron... one of them is an electronic landmine. I'm sure the technology could be adapted to come out of the grill?

dn3650-1_546.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom