Swirl flaps ML 270 cdi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mercaddi

Car
ml 270 cdi
Just thought i should give a big heads up for anybody thinking about getting the seals done on these useless bits of kit!!

The job at a Merc main dealer would probably relieve you of about £1500!!

Alex Crow in Stowmarket has come up with his own fix for a fraction of that and my ML has never run better, suggest you contact him before you go near a main dealer his web address is below

www.alexcrow.moonfruit.com

Did he remove and blank the swirl flaps or replace the full manifold?

What symptoms was you getting before you had the work done?

IRRC they can be removed ML270 Swirl Flap removal ?? - Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums and the various holes blanked off but the EGR has to be TWEAKED! CDI3 EGR bypass mod - Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums

Ermm why ?

Usually you need only to tap the 5 holes left after removing the flap housings (m12 x1.75) and use a sealant/thread lock washer combination on a corresponding bolt set and the jobs done.

The EGR mod you linked to is a bypass that fools the ECU when EGR problems are present, thus saving a few hundred on a new EGR valve.

I didn't read all the thread as I'm well aware of the mod and its application for years, I just have never associated them as an essential combination.

But I'm listening ............... sounds interesting.

According to Alex Crow :- One potential issue with removing swirl flaps on cars with CDI3 or above is EGR monitoring.
I have seen a 2005 E220 CDI (CDI3) with permanently open swirl flaps throwing P2355-002. The EGR function is monitored with airmass values, and the flaps being open when they should have been modulated or closed caused the code to be logged. Obviously there was nothing wrong with the actual EGR function, just the swirl flaps, but the increased airflow in certain conditions (eg 70 mph steady cruise) was enough to log it, and trigger 'limp home'.
In that case the fantastic CDI3 EGR mod (*Alex takes a bow*) was enough to satisfy the ECU, and all is still well as far as I know.

Last edited:
The quote you posted refer to stuck/permanently open swirl flaps not removed ones with the bar disconnected allowing the motor to move and reference the ECU its position.

According to Alex Crow :- One potential issue with removing swirl flaps on cars with CDI3 or above is EGR monitoring.
I have seen a 2005 E220 CDI (CDI3) with permanently open swirl flaps

I have never seen this problem with the many manifolds I have modified on CDI3's

Cheers.

Last edited:
The quote you posted refer to stuck/permanently open swirl flaps not removed ones with the bar disconnected allowing the motor to move and reference the ECU its position.

I have never seen this problem with the many manifolds I have modified on CDI3's

Cheers.

No idea mate you will have to ask Alex Crow how widespread the problem is on that one. Does sound a bit of a one off. :dk:

No idea mate you will have to ask Alex Crow how widespread the problem is on that one. Does sound a bit of a one off. :dk:

As he refers to the vehicle in the singular, it would be a one off, it certainly is as far as I'm concerned with the swirl flap mod.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom