Swirl Motor Resistor Mod OM642

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Charlie87

Car
S320CDI
Hi, has anyone fitted a 4.7k Ohm resistor to their inlet port shutoff motor comnection, it fools the ECU into thinking its working ok when it fails, so instead of replacing the motor for £££ you jus add a resistor for 5p :)

When the motor fails the flap defaults to its normal position which is open ( unless it's jammed) all you have to do is fit the resistor and car works fine (maybe clear codes aswel)

From what I've read all the swirl motor does is change the airflow from laminer to turbulent flow which aids combustion because air is mixed better with fuel. How it works sounds like a load of rubbish to me and it's not really necessary, causes more problems than it's worth in my opinion.

I'm going to give it a try on mine and see what happens ;) S320

Fitted the resistor using the guide lines laid out by Alex Crowe,

started the engine with the Inlet port shutoff motor disconnected, then car drove for a bit then went into limp mode. Then I fitted the resistor to the plug, I fitted a 4.7kOhm to the two middle connections on the plug.

The car ran normal, and after 3-4 restarts the engine light went out, as reported elsewhere this mod is a success and can save you ££.

Does anyone know the position of the swirl motor flaps? I know it varies on different engines but how do you know if they are open or closed on a OM642 engine.

Thanks.

Hi There I am a newbie here but have got the same problem with my vito 120.

Where can I find the guide lines by 'Alex Crowe' as I would like to try this fix?

I have error code P2078 - Intake Manifold Turning- valve position sensor switch circuit high-

Is this the same fault?

The van is in limp mode at moment and I am really stuck as to the best way forward, cant really afford to spend 2k on this van but need it at the sam time......

ANY help or advice would be really welcome.

Thanks Guys.

HI Guys,

I have an error code p-2078 on my Vito 120 and have tried the resistor and still have the same problems ie Limp mode and light still on?:(

is there something i am missing here?

I removed the plug form the swirl motor and put the resistor accross the 2 middle contacts (blue/brown and Green/black) leaving the solid brown unconnected.

The van was exactly the same as before, is ther something else that could be causing this error?

any advice or info would be most welcome....

The van is a 2007 120 cdi V6 auto

Thanks

Dean

Hello Gentlemans.

After spending hours of reading this forum I think a found something that is close to my issue. I would like to ask you for some help. I have w211 e280CDi engine OM642. One day my car started to jerking when pulling the throttle pedal so I found out that the turbo actuator could be the issue I resoldered the two problem contacts and the found the info about the resistor mod for swirl flaps - could they do the jerking? I tryied the resistor mod but for the first time no succes, the car drove but only for 50% of power no limp mode because the kickdown worked but the motor was very lazy. When I removed the resistor and made a test drive the car was with full force. So second time I tried another resistor and made a test drive and the car stayed with 100% power and I personally think it had better and smooth running and the gears were changing smoother as well. But after one hour of enjoyable driving and engine check light appeared and car went to limp mode (faults 2514,2526,2530,2527 appeared). So I removed the resistor and putted everything back to defaul nothing happened, engine check still on the dash. So I desided to check the fuses and found that fuse no43 is blewn - 15A. When I replaced it car started to work no limp mode I cleared the faults and no one appeared again. Before I tryied the resistor mod I didnot get any fault regarding the swirl flaps, I was only curious to try it if there will be some change in the engine behavior. So my question is could the resistor cause the fuse no43 to blow? If yes why?

The resistor used was 4K7 0,6watt

Odoslané z môjho iPhone cez Tapatalk

Hi, has anyone fitted a 4.7k Ohm resistor to their inlet port shutoff motor comnection, it fools the ECU into thinking its working ok when it fails, so instead of replacing the motor for £££ you jus add a resistor for 5p :)

When the motor fails the flap defaults to its normal position which is open ( unless it's jammed) all you have to do is fit the resistor and car works fine (maybe clear codes aswel)

From what I've read all the swirl motor does is change the airflow from laminer to turbulent flow which aids combustion because air is mixed better with fuel. How it works sounds like a load of rubbish to me and it's not really necessary, causes more problems than it's worth in my opinion.

I'm going to give it a try on mine and see what happens ;) S320
Hi Charlie please can you send me the guide please I have the same problem I have orders a emulator to make it easyer. But I'm unsure how to get to the plug I'm not great with mecanics tbh

@Fatsnacka Charlie hasn't been seen since 2013.

The fix is simply removing the electrical plug from the swirl flap motor and inserting a 4.7K ohm resistor across the two middle connectors. It fools the ECU into thinking the swirl flap motor is still connected and working. Often used when the swirl flap motor fails, though technically this is illegal because you are deleting one of the emission control devices. This is not detectable in an MOT and does not cause an emission fail however.

@Fatsnacka Charlie hasn't been seen since 2013.

The fix is simply removing the electrical plug from the swirl flap motor and inserting a 4.7K ohm resistor across the two middle connectors. It fools the ECU into thinking the swirl flap motor is still connected and working. Often used when the swirl flap motor fails, though technically this is illegal because you are deleting one of the emission control devices. This is not detectable in an MOT and does not cause an emission fail however.
Well done. Another bodged MB in the pool.

Hello Gentlemans.

After spending hours of reading this forum I think a found something that is close to my issue. I would like to ask you for some help. I have w211 e280CDi engine OM642. One day my car started to jerking when pulling the throttle pedal so I found out that the turbo actuator could be the issue I resoldered the two problem contacts and the found the info about the resistor mod for swirl flaps - could they do the jerking? I tryied the resistor mod but for the first time no succes, the car drove but only for 50% of power no limp mode because the kickdown worked but the motor was very lazy. When I removed the resistor and made a test drive the car was with full force. So second time I tried another resistor and made a test drive and the car stayed with 100% power and I personally think it had better and smooth running and the gears were changing smoother as well. But after one hour of enjoyable driving and engine check light appeared and car went to limp mode (faults 2514,2526,2530,2527 appeared). So I removed the resistor and putted everything back to defaul nothing happened, engine check still on the dash. So I desided to check the fuses and found that fuse no43 is blewn - 15A. When I replaced it car started to work no limp mode I cleared the faults and no one appeared again. Before I tryied the resistor mod I didnot get any fault regarding the swirl flaps, I was only curious to try it if there will be some change in the engine behavior. So my question is could the resistor cause the fuse no43 to blow? If yes why?

Similarly when the servo failed again on om642, I was thinking maybe the turbo went out as well. First one failed at around 60K, now at 101K KM another one went out. No fuse testing was carried out, it was straight out replaced.

Limp mode, which restricted driving at 1500 RPM maximum. Where I would be on speed shift 2, dash was showing speed shift 5, on manual mode.

Hello Gentlemans.

Hi mate, I have the same jerky issue. Did you resolve your problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom