Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Kripling

Car
Phaeton W12, Porsche 911 2S
Well, after owning my CL for 9 months I thought it was high time that I should use it the way it was intended and take it on a long journey. I had tried last October but an EIS failure meant that a jaunt up to Scotland had to be done in my Phaeton instead...

This time, though, nothing would stand in my way.

Since I've only ever driven over the Great St Bernard Pass, I thought a quick tour of some of the other Alpine passes with a friend could be fun, followed by a little trip to Affalterbach. Because I'd be nipping into Germany, I asked Olly at PCS to take a look at the brakes and brake lines (which he had previously advised were corroded). It seems winter had not been kind to them and so he advised that they were replaced. All was well until the following day, the message that strikes fear into the hearts of CL owners appeared.

"ABC - Drive Carefully!"

Which I did, straight back to PCS. The pump had given up the ghost four days before I was supposed to leave. However, PCS worked their magic and Graham fitted a new pump the following day. Although the stein fund had taken a knock (£960 for the pump :eek:) it had to be done.

1_zps0nnhggjg.jpg

France was dispatched with ease with the péage providing several opportunities for checking that the engine was still working properly in the higher rev ranges :D

We took the scenic route over the Jura mountains to stop just north of Geneva.

3_zps43w35pz0.jpg

The view over Martigny:

5_zpsllooovpg.jpg

Almost as good as the view 180 degrees away:

6_zpszfjtdfhf.jpg

From there we headed towards the Grimsel Pass and then north to the Susten Pass. Of all the passes I've done, I'd recommend the Susten Pass the most highly. It was relatively quiet, had stunning views, flowing curves and lots of small tunnels.

The CL55 often gets accused of being too quiet but with all the windows down and the cliff walls reflecting the sound back it sounded like a proper act of God. Only angrier.

9_zpsaqnsl7mg.jpg

Managed to catch the odometer as it ticked over to all the ones!

10_zpsmzolybk9.jpg

Nice view:

7_zpswhoouktn.jpg

Nice moo:

11_zpsfd0lb6uj.jpg

Last edited:
We then headed to Liechtenstein to spend the night in Triesenberg.

How could you improve a view like this?

15_zpshepa59i6.jpg

Oh, hang on!

16_zpsj0gchayu.jpg

17_zpsapclehkz.jpg

The next day we headed to the Flüela Pass:

18_zpsbv9qrbg6.jpg

19_zpsc2zrp5ov.jpg

This wasn't so nice as there was a lot more traffic and a cycle race going on...

20_zpsjkvjipjs.jpg

From there we headed down to the Munt la Schera tunnel.

21_zpsmahlthco.jpg

A tiny single lane tunnel that runs for 4km. You'd almost think it was designed with AMGs in mind :D

22_zpsmno7xifq.jpg

23_zpsxtffxoy6.jpg

The CL didn't fit very well in the parking spaces in Bormio:

24_zpszivs42y4.jpg

Although I knew it would be bad, I still thought the Stelvio Pass had to be done. But it wasn't bad.

It was horrific.

25_zpst62gunkx.jpg

26_zps87zrt9hj.jpg

The journey up to the top was a neverending stream of cyclists, cars and buses the latter of which made me very conscious that I was in an nearly 2m-wide car...

Still, the views weren't bad:

28_zpsvesixhxw.jpg

29_zps08y3obzc.jpg

34_zpsqvkqjunf.jpg

Strangely, the journey down the other side of the pass back towards Switzerland was virtually empty. However, hairpins are not really the CL's forte so I took it easy:

33_zpsahtrvez5.jpg

From there we nipped through Austria and into Germany to head to Munich since my friend is a big BMW fan :doh:

A pointless car:

37_zpstj2kzn9f.jpg

An even more pointless car:

38_zpsruiemotg.jpg

From Munich we blitzed it over toward Stuttgart where the CL (unsurprisingly) proved itself immensely good at doing triple digit speeds. Or at least, triple digit speeds between the endless contraflows...

We eventually got to Affalterbach where they had kindly hoisted the union flag for us!

44_zpscleczrui.jpg

43_zpsxlhyeldb.jpg

Eight?

45_zpsipe5oinq.jpg

Or twelve?

46_zps3ptkfol2.jpg

47_zpsiqiro3hp.jpg

Unfortunately, there are no cameras allowed in the factory itself but it's wonderful seeing all the engines that AMG has made on display and seeing the technicians at work. Unfortunately, the chap who made my engine, Robert Feiler, no longer works for the company so I didn't have the chance to thank him for assembling such a peach!

Finally, it was back to the UK with an overnight stop in Kaiserslautern and then a dash through Belgium.

The final stats? Well, I don't think they're too bad considering that neither my friend nor I drive like Miss Daisy!

50_zps5gw36c4i.jpg

All in all, a fantastic trip that I highly recommend to anyone who likes a road trip. The CL55 was a brilliant car to do it in, too. While it isn't as refined as the Phaeton in the cruise, it handles the twisty bits better and shoots up to 155mph with far more verve than the lardy VW does :D

Also, big thanks to Olly, Jack and Graham for all their work on the heffalump - it didn't put a foot wrong during the trip!

Sussten and Grimsel Passes are very nice. I like Grimsel because it's wide and you can accelerate properly and then ejoy the bend. Sussten has really nice views. I went through them last week in C63.

Furka pass is a bit narrow and surface is not very good quality. Stelvio is best done very early in the morning. Done Stelvio twice last year and I don't think I will bother again.

Bottom of Furka Pass:
IMG_2845.JPG

Can't remember where it was:
20150713_155219.jpg

St. Gottard
IMG_2815.JPG

Klaussen Pass, caught 11 old buses doing Sunday ride.
20150718110837_IMG_3569.JPG

Other side of Klaussen Pass
20150718112636_IMG_3611.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom