Switch headlamp for Europe driving ,W215

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Swotty

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2003 CL600
O.K, I know I'm a thick Yorkshireman I but need to change the headlamp dip direction on my CL (2003 600 biturbo) as I live in France.

I originally read that the command system would do that automatically:doh: but unsurprisingly that didn't happen, so I looked for the levers to do it manually .......... failed hopelessly - nothing obvious.

Nothing at all in the handbook but found in an online US/Canada version a statement that:

"You must have the headlamps adjusted for symmetrical low beams. Relevant information can be obtained at your authorized Mercedes-Benz Center."

Has anyone done this? is it something I can do myself if I know how, or is it another STAR mystery setting?

Help me stop the flashing ....... if you know what I mean!

Cheers,

Stuart

On my car with HIDs, you remove the large plastic cover as if you were going to change the main bulb and the beam pattern is selected by turning the odd-shaped piece of black plastic I've arrowed. It should rotate about its long axis but neither of mine would move easily and I reckoned that they would break if I applied any more force.

It's easier to get to if you remove the igniter from the bulb holder as in the pic. Be aware of the safety issues with high voltages around the igniter.

If you have halogen bulbs it may be different.

Attachments

• P1010023-001.jpg
    P1010023-001.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 14
Thanks, lexman8!

Crikey - I thought there would be a high-tech solution .......... looks perhaps a bit too daunting for me as an MB novice and reckon I'll call in and have a word with the dealer, with whom I have a good relationship after 7 years of servicing the XK (it's a multi-franchise dealership).

I was showing the engine off today to a friend who was well-impressed ....
.... and then he said "good job there's no space to work in - you wouldn't know where to start"!

Thanks again,

Stuart

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom