Switchable ECU?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chattonmill

MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 E55 AMG
I have been pondering the possibility of having a switchble ecu in the E55.
Rather that having to upload a new map every time you want to change the performance/economy is there a solution that you can swithc over at the press of a button or flick of a switch?

All that really does is change the gear shifting characteristics though, I run in C most of the time and only occasionally use S

^ I've seen a tunning box offered for sale with a remote which basically reverys from normal mode to fast mode..

Not sure this can be done within the ecu though...not for silly monely anyway?

My mate has an Emerald M3D ECU on his TVR which allows a triple switched mapping function - economy / performance / Emissions - uses bespoke fuelling and timing maps.
They're pretty affordable but how or if they'd integrate into an MB environment god only knows
You could always fire them an email and see what they say
Cheers

When Diesel maps are changed. which parameter(s) are altered? Reading from the above link it appears the fuel pressure is varied, but I would have thought injector open time would be the obvious way to increase fueling.
If so, does the start of injection remain the same with the extra open time achieved by delaying final closing, and is the sequence of pilot, main, after charge preserved, or over-ridden to any degree to increase injector open time without having to overly delay final closing?
Does anyone know?

My mate has an Emerald M3D ECU on his TVR which allows a triple switched mapping function - economy / performance / Emissions - uses bespoke fuelling and timing maps.
They're pretty affordable but how or if they'd integrate into an MB environment god only knows
You could always fire them an email and see what they say
Cheers
Looks like the sort of thing I am after, will give the a call.

Thanks

Max

BMW do it with the "M" button.

When Diesel maps are changed. which parameter(s) are altered? Reading from the above link it appears the fuel pressure is varied, but I would have thought injector open time would be the obvious way to increase fueling.
If so, does the start of injection remain the same with the extra open time achieved by delaying final closing, and is the sequence of pilot, main, after charge preserved, or over-ridden to any degree to increase injector open time without having to overly delay final closing?
Does anyone know?

Quite right! It is normally fuel pressure which gets changed and that allows more fuel in at the right time. Playing with the dwell and timing can have many unintended consquences and is best left alone. Emissions are normally the first thing to suffer.
The way the fuel vapouises with higher pressure is also a benefit and so the latest higher pressure injectors (when working;)) are good.
Just boosting the fuel pressure works in a crude way, scews the fuel readout but can be very effective on older common rail engines.
A remap can alter many other parameters to suit the driver such as throttle input, boost, rpm in addition to fuel pressure and sometimes timing in relationship to the other parameters.
Most ECU's now have the capability of storing multiple maps. We do this on customer race cars so they can alter the pit speed limiter with a switch on the dash. What it is actually doing is changing to another map with only the pitspeed max point moved.
Getting someone to access the ECU might be a whole lot more difficult!;)

In essence though, no matter what is done, the sequence of injections throughout the injection event (pilot, main, after) is preserved as defined by the OEM programming?

In essence though, no matter what is done, the sequence of injections throughout the injection event (pilot, main, after) is preserved as defined by the OEM programming?

In the vast majority of cases, yes.

A few more questions?.....
On a CR Diesel, is fuel pressure regulated from the ECU from the map (as opposed to petrol where mechanical regulator with reference to manifold absolute pressure is employed)? Hence the term 'remapping' when the pressure is raised as mentioned in earlier posts?

Are injectors used for direct cylinder injection, Diesel and petrol, switched as per the old Bosch L derived systems, ie constant +2V supply intermittently earthed via the ECU? If so, are the current draws similar?

What typically is fuel rail pressure and injector dwell for petrol direct injection systems? At a guess the injection begins soon after inlet valve closing and is a reasonably short event to maximise in cylinder atomisation time, but still much longer, and at lower pressure than its Diesel counterpart. Correct?
Are the injectors similar, or is the petrol version simpler (without the pressure amplification of the Diesel variant)?
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom