Switching to Merc, C450 - Anything special?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

axel1990chp

Car
Golf R
Good evening, I have had a Mercedes C450 come to my attention over the last few months and whilst I've done as much research as I can, and I've registered myself with the local Mercedes dealership, I'm still relatively ignorant to Mercedes themselves and their track record as personal vehicles.

I am currently driving a mk7 Golf R and I am more than happy in it, or rather was. I recently had trouble with Volkswagen and my local dealership regarding warranty issues on a year old car. Long story short I'm looking to part next year and take a step up to a classier piece of kit.

Having only owner smaller cars making a step up to a saloon (possibly estate because it looks sublime) is a big deal for me so I want to make sure its the right one!

Does any of the members here have any "extra" information regarding this future vehicle? I believe its set for a March '16 release. I appreciate that's asking rather vaguely, however there always seems to be someone with their foot in the door that knows a little more than they should! :D

Further to that, has anyone made a similar change in vehicle that could tell me from experience what its like changing to a larger Mercedes? Its all good reading manufacturers facts and figures, but its better to hear from the owners than a brochure!

Cheers!

The feedback on the handful of people that have driven these cars that I've spoken too (generally on a dealer orientation trips to Portugal) are that it's awesome and they will sell loads of them.

It has all the power you'll reasonably use on the public highway plus it's 4wd.

On a track it's almost as fast as a C63 AMG due to balance and traction.

We've just ordered an SL400 which is the same basic engine, the 450 has had a different map applied to increase power from 330 hp to around 360hp.

The SL400 put a huge smile on our face, the only thing we found odd is it sounds like a bag of spanners on idle at cold start (still less unpleasant than a diesel). It pops and bangs on over run when in sport mode.

I have feeling these 450 AMG Sport models will fly out of the showrooms. It's 90% of a full fat AMG without the eyewatering new cost/depreciation/running costs. Something Mercedes have been missing for a decade or two.

Incidentally my business partner has placed an order for a Golf R this week (despite me suggesting he should get something more grown up!). What issues did you have with yours?

That sounds excellent, one of the local dealers had a manager go to the Portugal display and relayed similar thoughts, never mentioned its potential next to its bigger brother though!

Coming from a 4 pot 2litre I am definitely looking at a bigger engine and the V6 seems a logical step. Especially the noise! Thanks for that.

With the Golf, it feels as though the car has been 'de-tuned' to allow for a facelift version later in life. Its especially punchy from a start but the torque through 3rd and 4th where it matters just means it hasn't hit the right buttons for me.

I consider myself a good driver (as would most I guess!) and I have never ridden then clutch nor do I hold the bite at standstills. That being said my clutch started slipping under acceleration from 3k revs after exactly 1 year and 2 days of ownership and 8250 miles. Naturally assumed it would be covered under its 3 years warranty, only to be told by VW and the dealership that its wear and tear. Long story short I complained largely and to the right people, alas it didn't prove much use as I still had to fork out for the repairs (They did me a 'favour' and knocked off the labour)
A quick google shows plenty of people with the same issue, clutches slipping with barely any milage, similar milage and more than me.

Ontop of that they launched my model (64) with faulty head units. meaning the touch screen display decided it didn't want to function when the ambient temperature was low.

Great car and I enjoy it, the problems I have experienced are part of a small minority.

Axel well don't expect a better level of dealer experience! Unless your buying from stock, expect a L-O-N-G delivery wait. I might get shot down for saying this, but the American forums have a lot of info on the C450.

I took a long while to adapt to the Mercedes steering experience, maybe rent one (A C class) for a week (yes I know the C450 is all wheel drive!) see how you get on?

I've driven it in saloon and estate guise, also have one on order for my mother. Ask away!

Axel well don't expect a better level of dealer experience! Unless your buying from stock, expect a L-O-N-G delivery wait. I might get shot down for saying this, but the American forums have a lot of info on the C450.

I took a long while to adapt to the Mercedes steering experience, maybe rent one (A C class) for a week (yes I know the C450 is all wheel drive!) see how you get on?

A colleague of mine has the face-lift A45 coming next Thursday so I will be definitely trying out his car, the gear box is definitely something I am looking forward too, I've driven auto before but for personal use I've always strayed towards a Manual for that 'driver experience' everyone bangs on about! Ill definitely take a look at the US forums though for sure, their options might be different but the car will handle the same I would guess.

I've driven it in saloon and estate guise, also have one on order for my mother. Ask away!

Just the man! Firstly down to the child in me, how's the growl and how are the beans? Not so much interested in 0-60 times anymore (4.8 isn't shabby anyway!) but the torque of that V6 excites me!

Secondly how's the ride? I'm kind of fed up with the stiff suspensions I'm used to, its not a make or break for me but something smoother (Or even with adaptive) would be quite nice!

Lastly I've had to many courtesy cars or hire cars that are the dogs in their appearance but they've been wobbling towers around corners, is it 'glued' so to speak, or am I going to be 90 degrees when I approach a corner?

Many thanks

A colleague of mine has the face-lift A45 coming next Thursday so I will be definitely trying out his car, the gear box is definitely something I am looking forward too, I've driven auto before but for personal use I've always strayed towards a Manual for that 'driver experience' everyone bangs on about! Ill definitely take a look at the US forums though for sure, their options might be different but the car will handle the same I would guess.

Just the man! Firstly down to the child in me, how's the growl and how are the beans? Not so much interested in 0-60 times anymore (4.8 isn't shabby anyway!) but the torque of that V6 excites me!

Secondly how's the ride? I'm kind of fed up with the stiff suspensions I'm used to, its not a make or break for me but something smoother (Or even with adaptive) would be quite nice!

Lastly I've had to many courtesy cars or hire cars that are the dogs in their appearance but they've been wobbling towers around corners, is it 'glued' so to speak, or am I going to be 90 degrees when I approach a corner?

Many thanks

I found it to be more usable that a C63. The power was easy to put down and it was easy to manage the power delivery without it biting your head off. The handling was great, with much more feel through the steering wheel than the standard car.
Comfort was fine and I felt it was similar to a standard AMG Line car in ride. It's really the car that I'm most excited about because it's a big gap in the lineup that needs filling.

I think it'll start around the 40-42k mark

I found it to be more usable that a C63......

That's what I think a Mercedes-BENZ salesman would say.

A Mercedes-AMG personal experience adviser might disagree :)

Sounds like you are right though... Mercedes-(fill in blank) are certainly missing mid-range sporty petrol saloon cars. A250 to S500 is a big gap.

Don't get me wrong, I'd have the 63 over it any day, but I was still very impressed by the C450.
Just because you have the money to buy a c63, doesn't mean you have the skill to drive one. I have to sit in them on test drive with people and it's terrifying. The C450 will bring back business we are losing to Audi etc

Last edited:
IMO, the C450 can't come quickly enough

the C450 Coupe will be lovely

Looking at the US price of $50k makes me think it may be more than the expected £40k when it comes here. The equivalent BMW 340i is £40k but not X-Drive, the Jaguar XE-S is around £45k and also rear wheel drive. I'm guessing it will be closer in price to the Jag.

Don't get me wrong, I'd have the 63 over it any day, but I was still very impressed by the C450.
Just because you have the money to buy a c63, doesn't mean you have the skill to drive one. I have to sit in them on test drive with people and it's terrifying. The C450 will bring back business we are losing to Audi etc

Agree with all your points - Google C63 video and watch them loose control

You are right though, if you want a quick C Class you are pretty limited at the moment. The most powerful MB version is supposed to be the "green" choice (350e). S4/S5 and BMW 335/435 have had it their own way too long.

Agree with all your points - Google C63 video and watch them loose control

You are right though, if you want a quick C Class you are pretty limited at the moment. The most powerful MB version is supposed to be the "green" choice (350e). S4/S5 and BMW 335/435 have had it their own way too long.

Yes and though the 350e is the fastest C class below the 63, it's in sport trim, so it's soft and floaty. Not dynamic IMO.

I think other may be right, I suspect the C450 will be closer to 45k. They suggest 42k to us in the summer, but looking at the pricing of the S4, it could be more. I guess it's dependent on what standard spec MBUK decide to go with

I've been thinking £45k since the news of this model hit. It's going to need to be std specced fairly high for that though-otherwise you pushing it up toward C63 levels.

The Jag XE S comes pretty well kitted out off the shelf - looks the part too. Hurry up with this MB, boredom with my 250 is manifesting itself. Coupled with £1.03 per litre gas at the moment I want a hot petrol saloon!!

Hi everyone, MBClub newby here. I joined specifically to get up to speed on the C450 in the UK and was pleased to find this thread where the OP is in a similar position to myself. In my case its an Audi S3 I will be replacing. Loving the car but its just a bit too small to take 4 adults comfortably. Also got a nagging worry about the chocolate clutch.
I'm hoping the C450 estate will be capable of being both a long distance cruiser / load carrier as well as giving me some fun and noise when I'm driving alone.
Coming from a well specced Audi I shall be particularly interested in the infotainment capability.
Plenty of time to do my research if its out next summer on a long delivery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom