Sybil - 1989 190E

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike Walker

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes W204 C220cdi Estate Ford Fiesta Mk 4
We bought Sybil from a forum member 2 years ago for our daughter, who had just returned from South America and needed a car at short notice.
A change in car arrangements and me becoming a commuter means I am now Sybil's - number plate ends in SYB - owner.

Daughter /Partner are planning to get married in August so the White 190 will do nicely once it has been refurbed/tidied up.

MOT 'd yesterday and passed with a few advisories - 7 actually :cool:- but now know what is required which is good.:bannana:

Pics and regular updates will follow..........

Did think you'd be better off keeping it :cool: Good to hear it passed the MOT - what were the advisories?

Interesting registration number Mike. I remember working with Roger Searle, former employee of The Who, Tour Manager for Level 42 and Production Manager for Spandau Ballet (aad many others). At the time (late 1980s) Roger had a W123 estate with a personalised reg - something like SYB 7 if I remember. Roger was a great bloke to work with and his nickname was.......Sybil. Yet another non-interesting fact you probably didn't need to know!

I think it actually ends SBL.

Did think you'd be better off keeping it :cool: Good to hear it passed the MOT - what were the advisories?

Actually was 6 not 7 :-

1. Stone chip on windscreen - been there since car was purchased
  2. small hole in exhaust causing minor leak
  3. 4 rusty springs
  4. 1 rusty anti roll bar
  5. Exhaust emissions nearly too high
  6. Near side front tyre wearing on both edges
Car is being serviced on Friday so will give me chance to have a proper look and deal with as necessary then it's on to the seats - cleaning - and bodywork - rusty rear wheel arch on drivers side.

Roger Searle

Amazing what turns up on the internet...I do indeed own SYB plates ..two in fact 10 SYB and 11 SYB.

Amazing what turns up on the internet...I do indeed own SYB plates ..two in fact 10 SYB and 11 SYB.

Would you be the same Roger Searle mentioned above?

If you are, you'll remember what was written on the inside page of the Level 42 tour itinerary - when the band was at it's zenith (8 x sold out nights at Wembley Arena). Complete this and win a prize.

Never assume anything. Assumption is the mother of all......

You'll doubtless remember the debacle of the Spandau Ballet tour - Capitol Theatre, Aberdeen - next date?If you're a different Roger Searle - you won't have a bloody clue what I'm rattling on about!

I'm sure I don't /\ so please stop taking my thread over - lol

Exhaust emissions nearly too high

May mean the carburettor needs an overhaul/adjustment = tricky except for the experienced ?

On my way to MB Medway on Friday morning unless snow prevents me. Capable Indy who has serviced car before so hopefully all will be ok.

Progress update
Just received 4 new wheel trims and tools/tool roll courtesy of ss201 so many thanks for that -££'s are on the way. Fanastic packaging as well - what a star!

Went to MB Medway - Rochester - this morning. What a knowledgeable guy Mike the owner is.
Annual service completed, inspected all springs and clearly the powder coating has vanished and steel is rusty but as they are probabaly the originals no real surprises there. Exhaust is blowing slightly at a connection so will be undone, sealed and put back in place. Anti roll bar is the same and not a problem at present.
Front wheel bearings tightened up and all tyres at correct pressure so just need to watch the worn one.
unfortunately on the way to rochester brake warning light came on and clutch pedal went down and wouldn't come back up without my help. Result is a leaking master cylinder which will be replaced along wit the hand break cables whose covers have split. Minor tweak to carb to do and hopefully emissions will be back as they should be.
Then we can start on rusty wheel arches at rear, water ingress into interior - probably from sunroof or boot lock, or both and then the central locking which does not work via the drivers door. Update over!
Sorry forgot to mention that whilst I was with Mike a guy arrived in a diesel cls with grey smoke pouring from under the bonnet and the front wheel arches. Possible blown turbo and DPF issues - looked really serious to me.

Returned to MB Medway yesterday and now have a brand new clutch master cylinder all fully tried and tested and working properly. Found an amount of clutch fluid beneath the drivers side floor mats which had been leaking from the old cylinder so have just cleaned that all out. Exhaust conection has been sorted and the carb too.

Search for body shop to do rear wheel arch repair/paint just commencing.

Sun came out briefly yesterday so took the opprtunity to clean the seats with the magic liquid that I purchased recently from Ebay. What a transformation so many thanks for the suggestion. Seats look almost like new and for very little effort.

Latest update on Sybil or "the more you look the more you find".......

1. Need a new cover for the passenger side mirror
2. Searching for someone who can recover the rear parcel shelf now the aftermarket speakers are out of it.
3. Work needed to sort the central locking via the drivers door.
4. Nets on rear of front seats need tightening.
4. Waiting for quotation to repair drivers side rear wheel arch which is rusting, repairs to dents in bonnet and similar to boot lid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom