Symbian phones with MB "SLR" SAP module

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fast_eddie

Car
E280 CDI
Hi all,

before I get flamed, I have been searching but can't find a definitive answer. Will the silver "SLR" type SAP module work with newer Samsung phones, e.g. the i8510 or the i8910HD?

Conventional wisdom indicates that this BT module only reliably works with Nokia and a few Siemens phones.

However, having a Nokia N95 8Gb, I hope that the similar Symbian OS on the newer Samsungs may add them to the SLR-SAP fold - can anyone confirm or deny?

Second question - I've had a brief and unsuccessful relationship with an HTC Touch Pro (magnificent device but no joy with SAP). I just found a reference that may explain why, and would love to know if anyone has tested and can confirm or deny it's accuracy:
the reference claims that Windows Mobile phones (like pretty much all the HTC devices) identify themselves over Bluetooth as "Smartphone", and that modifying a specific registry value can allow them to present as a normal "Phone" which is what the MB SLR SAP module expects...

Answers on a postcard please, as I really like the look of the i8910 but can not do without the SAP functionality.

Thanks,
Eddie.

If I look from my laptop, my Nokia phone is shown as a "Smart Phone", I don't think that would confuse the BT SAP device. The device is looking for BT SAP profile support from the phone, not the generic BT device classification. But I tend to remember someone claiming upgrades or external applications being available for some Windows mobile versions at least that enable MB BT support. But this may have been a fix for the BT HF device that they us in the US.

I have not looked at the Samsung BT options but you are right, BT SAP could easily be supported. However Samsung may have disabled this to avoid confusion with other models that they provide without Symbian/S60 UI. I guess it would be easy to find from an on-line user manual.

But I tend to remember someone claiming upgrades or external applications being available for some Windows mobile versions at least that enable MB BT support. But this may have been a fix for the BT HF device that they us in the US.

That was WM5 and WM2003SE support for the HFP extensions that allow phonebook transfer, called/calling list and signal strength.

JETware Mobile Software

Richard

I'm in a similar position - desperately trying to find a satisfactory phone to integrate with my SAP puck.

I understand the new HTCs use Android and not WM6. Whether they now conform with SAP is something I can't seem to find out.

Some other smartphones, as you say, poll as a "PocketPC" or similar, and not "Phone", which causes SAP real confusion.

I'm now seriously wondering if I would be better off long term to cut my losses and trade in the SAP puck for a ViseeO...

I'm in a similar position - desperately trying to find a satisfactory phone to integrate with my SAP puck.

I understand the new HTCs use Android and not WM6. Whether they now conform with SAP is something I can't seem to find out.

Some other smartphones, as you say, poll as a "PocketPC" or similar, and not "Phone", which causes SAP real confusion.

I'm now seriously wondering if I would be better off long term to cut my losses and trade in the SAP puck for a ViseeO...

BT HF is a safe option in the sense that all BT SAP capable phones support BT HF. But what are you after from the new phone if you were considering a Symbian S60 Samsung that an "equivalent" Nokia Symbian S60 phone would not offer? Just curious (I'm not up-to-date with new/current models).

I was looking at the Nokia N97 until Orange recently withdrew it because of all the problems they are having with it. That was a Symbian phone, and would have integrated with the SAP puck I am sure.

Now looking for similar alternatives, I am not confident that many non-Nokia options are available. I liked the HTC Hero, which uses Android, but there is no mention of SAP being supported. Ditto several other similar options.

Theres a new SAP called SAP Version 3.

Its *only* approved for the W212 / W207 (new E class, E class coupe)

It supports SAP to Nokia and to Blackberry so may work better with other phones.
It also has a USB charging port and apparently selectable ring tones

Its not as pretty as the SLR, and as I said above its only approved for the latest cars.

I have one here, just not had time to test it yet. Next week I hope :)
And I dont have a WM6 device with SAP to test (anyone near Ascot with one ???)

Richard

Thanks to all for the feedback. Still no definitive answer though.

The user manuals for the Samsungs (i8510, i8910HD) indicate that there is a Remote SIM mode that can be activated.

However, so do the Windows Mobile 6.x devices (HTC Touch etc) and we know that they won't pair with the MB SAP adapter.

Has anyone tested one of the Samsung Symbian phones, successfully or otherwise?

Thanks,
Eddie.

I was looking at the Nokia N97 until Orange recently withdrew it because of all the problems they are having with it. That was a Symbian phone, and would have integrated with the SAP puck I am sure.

Now looking for similar alternatives, I am not confident that many non-Nokia options are available. I liked the HTC Hero, which uses Android, but there is no mention of SAP being supported. Ditto several other similar options.

Orange have withdrawn countless Nokia's over the years, nothing to do with Nokia's own software, its the stupid Orange OS that they bolt on which causes the problems.

I always wipe my Orange Nokia's & install the generic OS over it.

That had crossed my mind, and I would not be in the least bit surprised if it was the real reason behind the withdrawal.

Thanks for confirming that I am right to be cynical in these matters!

Success !!!

Hi all,

I took a punt on the Samsung i8910 HD, and bought one from a nice chap on eBay. Once it was delivered, I removed the SIM lock, and flashed the firmware to get rid of the awful Orange firmware.

And I'm delighted to inform you that I then connected without issue to my SAP bluetooth adapter, exactly the same process as with the old N95 8Gb. :D:D:D

Even with the SIM lock and Orange firmware, it should work for SAP bluetoothing anyway...

So there's another phone that people can consider if they have the picky SAP adapter... And what a phone it is - lovely!

Cheers,
Eddie.

That's good news Eddie..

Just a thought - if you can't find a phone to pair with your SAP BT device why not contact VW, SKoda and even Bentley dealers and ask their advice as the VW inbuilt system is rSAP too...

Not sure about Audi but would assume so if the others are..

That is of course if your friendly MB dealer can't assist.

Hi,

further confirmation of functionality - a full synch of contacts from the phone memory (not just the SIM card) was successfully achieved by dialling "0000" on the COMAND unit - again, exactly the same as with the Nokia...

Cheers,
Eddie.

That's good news Eddie..

Just a thought - if you can't find a phone to pair with your SAP BT device why not contact VW, SKoda and even Bentley dealers and ask their advice as the VW inbuilt system is rSAP too...

Not sure about Audi but would assume so if the others are..

That is of course if your friendly MB dealer can't assist.

Not all rSIM implementations are the same..

MB seems to be beating it's own path here :doh:

Hi,

further confirmation of functionality - a full synch of contacts from the phone memory (not just the SIM card) was successfully achieved by dialling "0000" on the COMAND unit - again, exactly the same as with the Nokia...

Cheers,
Eddie.

That's because the '0000' thing is a SAP to COMAND function, not a SAP to phone thing. If the phone connects with SAP the '0000' will work

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom