symptomatic of unnecessary car complexity impacting insurance

• Thread starter Deleted member 149005
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 149005

I read over the weekend the cost of replacing a headlight on a VW Golf GTI has risen 400% over 11 years from £163 in 200 to £840 today....

I understand what you are getting at. As complexity increases the it's bound to drive up insurance costs. I also agree some of this complexity is unnecessary or should at least be optional.

In one sense led headlights aren't the best example if they are an improvement on the old units but on the other hand if the cost has gone up 500% then there is something wrong with the application of the technology. LED's aren't that expensive.

Some lights on some models have got a lot more complicated so I imagine some of the cost is there (adaptive etc.)

If the lights cost that much then they wouldn't be fitted in the first place.

So what we have here is exploitation by the manufacturers of the simple fact that components such as mirrors and headlights and front and rear plastic body assemblies are frequently replaced because of minor accidents. They charge what they do because ... they can.

I don’t think the cost to the manufacturer is anything like the cost difference suggests, as in the implication of the technology being expensive or much more expensive to produce etc. I think it’s an example of paying down the line for the research and development, and possibly one of the reasons why a lot of new cars are relatively cheaper than they used to be.

Maybe new cars are safer and crash less hence they don’t sell as many new units either - a stretch I know but could be possible...okay it was only a thought :thumb:

Also - got to pay for dieselgate somehow? :doh:

I read over the weekend the cost of replacing a headlight on a VW Golf GTI has risen 400% over 11 years from £163 in 200 to £840 today....

But Sir, it's so much more than a headlight..

nintchdbpict000371552736-e1512642643187-1.jpg

Probably quoting difference between old halogen headlamp unit and modern LED unit!
Or the amount of labour involved in the job

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom