Sync'ing one exchange server with another

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
A question... is it possible to get exchange server to sync with other exchange servers?

Reason being, I have multiple client accounts on several exchange servers for work (contractor for various companies). Each has it's set of emails, contact lists and calendars.

What I want to do, is run my own exchange server, get it to sync with al the others, so that I have everything I need in one place.

I can then access this from my phone, laptop, etc...

Any ideas??

M.

I would investigate using Gmail, and get it to download from multiple accounts, that would certainly solve the email. Calender and Contacts may be a bit trickier.

Interesting one, I'll have a think.

you will need to run a 3rd party app to collect your email via pop3 and sync that to your local exchange. Sounds a bit of an over kill though, you might just as well configure the likes of gmail/msn etc to collect email from the exchange servers and have your phone sync to that.

A question... is it possible to get exchange server to sync with other exchange servers?

Probably.

Any ideas??

What we do is use a Linux setup on a VM running an IMAP server. Then sync by extracting mail from other servers - including an old Exchange server using 'offlineimap'.

This won't handle calendars/tasks but mail is fine. It's also a lot more straightforward to manage mail archives and backups IMO.

Thanks - food for thought!

Email I'm a little less worried about as I can always set up forwarding rules and whatnot... the contacts is what I'm more interested in; because the only alternative that I can think of is having all the contacts on my server... which would be a pain to expor/import and keep everything up to date.

Gmail is not an option. Working in IT security, I'm not keen on cloud solutions where there aren't very specific rules in place. Gmail even more so, as they seem to mine anything you store with them for advertising...

That's in part why I want to run it on my own server, where I can control exactly what runs on it, what encrypts it and where it gets backed up to.

M.

Outlook 2010 will support simultaneous connection to up to 3 exchange servers on a single Outlook profile. Would that help?

Quest Migration Manager for Exchange is really intended for migrations, however the co-existence element might give you what you're looking for. It does place some extra load on your servers though, but I guess any synch will.

If you can create a trust between your domain and the source domain you could migrate all of your mail into your own box then set up a forward on the sourse mailbox to forward all future mail to your own mail server.

If you need the powershell command I can send it over to you (I've been migrating a lot of mail servers lately and this is how I've been doing it - although not to my own domain).

The only problem I can see is if you work with any domains that are adhering to COCO compliance as they won’t allow mail to be forwarded to a non domain account

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom