Synthesising a voice - how can I do it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Dazzler

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
Smart ForFour AMG Black Series Night Edition Premium Plus 125 Powered by Brabus
I want to create a light-hearted voicemail greeting message for my mobile, and want to somehow synthesise a human voice, to give a sort of 'robot' affect.

Anyone know how I could go about it? :confused:

My only idea so far didn't really work :( . My cunning but unsucessful plan was to write my greeting as a text message, send it to a landline, and then hold the handsets together to record the lady who reads it out.

Anyone got a better plan. Even silly suggestions welcomed!!

Find someone with a Tom Tom 910 and a bluetooth phone.

The Tom Tom can be set to read out incoming text messages, so just record it speaking whatever you put in an SMS :)

BTB 500 said:
Find someone with a Tom Tom 910 and a bluetooth phone.

The Tom Tom can be set to read out incoming text messages, so just record it speaking whatever you put in an SMS :)

Cheers Bill - good idea. Will ask around to see if anyone has Tom-Tom. Can't think of anyone just yet, so keep the ideas coming.

PC with text-to-voice (mine does it, but don't know if that's a standard Windows function)?

I'd use the vocoder in the studio...

blassberg said:
employ a robot?

The last robot I employed said that sitting around waiting for my mobile to ring and then taking messages was too boring, and walked out on me. Even robots have attitude these days. :rolleyes:

Apparently they're now in training for an unmanned mission to the sun, which on the face of it seems more exciting, but probably means they'll never come back. They've maybe not yet thought it through. Should have stuck with me.

:D

If your on WinXP, look for the Speech control panel, that will do it for free! & you dont even have to goto any website

KillerHERTZ said:
If your on WinXP, look for the Speech control panel, that will do it for free! & you dont even have to goto any website

Found that, but how do I actually get it to do text-to-speech from any of the Office apps. (or anywhere else)??

I have Office 2003 - in Word, once you have typed your document, go to Tools and then Speech. Within that there is an option to Speak Text (you can skip microphone set up if you don't want to do the speech-text conversion/learn)

Hope helps!

Rob

I've got Office XP, I'm sure I've used text to speech before (just playing around), but probably not since I got a new PC. Maybe I need to do the speech->text recognition setup before the text->speech option appears (it's not there now).

Text-speech software often comes bundled with a soundcard. These days practically everyone uses an integrated soundcard on their motherboard and the software that comes with it is either non-existant or pretty basic. Check your original driver discs that came with your PC, you might find something on there.

The voice control panel in XP has the text->speech options and I can choose what voice (and preview it) ... I just can't find the option to play text as speech in any of the Office apps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom