Synthetic fuel - is that the future?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dodipops

Car
C63
So Porsche announce they will produce synthetic fuel that is as clean as any EV by 2022.
Could be good news if you have a 63 like me.

Don’t know is the short answer. This and other alternatives are also being discussed in this thread:

Coming from Porsche, I'm sure it will be cheap then!

P.S. - I assume this doesn't work with diesels!?

ICE burns stuff... so how can this be part of any long-term solution to our environmental issues? Regardless of what type of fuel is being burnt or how clean it burns. Seems illogical. Or am I missing something?

Synthetic diesel will have a much higher Cetane number .
But usually much lower density, so a trade off with reduced ignition delay, noise and particulates versus a drop in power and torque.

Just watching a video on this now.

This chap says it works on both diesel and petrol

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It sequesters existing atmospheric CO2 to produce the fuel which when burned produces CO2 and is thus "carbon neutral". When burned the fuel releases energy to propel the car which is a direct reflection of the energy input in the fuels manufacture. This energy is derived from renewable sources such as wind power hence the factory in Chile. Whether economics of this production of an artificial energy dense fuel can compete with fossil fuels which have been generated by millennia of free sunlight and diagenisis is the question. I suspect not---making the eFUEL a potentially very expensive commodity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom