SysAdmin!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
Some of you may know I graduated at the beginning of this year in Computer Science (BEng). You may even know that I was looking for a job that would get me some experience before starting my masters... I even was opening a company...

Well... I got a job :bannana: Quite funny how it went really... I had sent off the usual B52-load of CV's to random companies that seemed interesting regarding my doing a 6-month internship, and was looking at starting a company when my old school (the one I graduated from 3.5years ago) gave me a ring. Their tecchie ran away and they needed some help, and they were wondering if I was willing to help them set up a some stuff in the auditorium a couple of days later (paid per hour). I though, sure why not, I'll bill it as the first job for my soon-to-be company...

After doing that job, I recevied another call saying that they were happy with my job, and if I was interested in coming by for an interview for a part-time position there! Caught a little off-guard, I agreed and went there the week after.

The rest really is history now, my first month (until the 31st of January) is considered an "intensive training period", whereby I will be working with the head of IT for the schools (its an international chain); after which, his visits to the school will become less frequent (until the point of me being on my own).

I must admit, I am quite pleased with the job, but my first impression was one of total terror. I will be in charge of a network of over 300 systems, almost 700 users (+ staff) and the odd server (not much really, a raid array for the home dirs, a proxy/firewall, a webserver and a smallish database). But extremely terrifying none-the-less. Especially when I think that I'll be working with the people who taught me most of what I know... (sorry Ms. Delshady, I know my grammar is still worthless! :p)

I was wondering, does anyone have any advice? I've never administered a network this big (the largest I've been sysadmin for was 10/12 systems). I've received alot of "encouragement" from the IT teacher and the math teacher (who is a computer geek too) and have been told that I could rely on them to help me out, but frankly (between you people, me and the billions of eyes reading this) this job feels VERY big for me. Its a very steep learning curve, (thats not to say that I don't like it, in fact, I LOVE a good challenge!).

The warnings I've gotten so far are "EVERYONE will ask you to install something, remove something or change something. Or how something works or why something doesn't work. Try to make the 80% who you can satisfy quickly happy, and postpone the remaining 20% until you will have more free time". Seems like good advice (lets see if my econ teacher will accept me dropping his work... he didn't seem to appreciate 5 years ago... :devil: )

Anyhow, I better end this demented rant; I need to get ready to drive to Italy!

Michele

Go with it.... just remember to think, slow down and work out the consequences of installing or removing or even updating. Research everything - even MS updates !

And a user will need a very good reason to ask you to change access or remove filters etc.

Always keep all in the loop with regards to any changes, contingencies or last minute changes.

Communication! Its key to you being sucessful in this type of role, accessability can work for you and against you but a good balance of the two would be great.

manage expectations! if you know what i mean! and if in doubt ask and if still in doubt ASK!

Good luck!

Thanks for all the support ;) I'm off to Italy now, so I'll probably be away from the site for a week; but I thought I'de add something before leaving... its an almost-completely Mac OSx network ! (barring the servers which are a bit of a "brew" of W2003, OSxServer, and kerberOS)

There WAS a strange "smoky" smell today in the hallway today... oh well, I'm "off duty" till the 3rd, lets see if I still have something to administer when I get back :p

Merry Christmas, Xmas and Wintersday (pick which level of "PC'ness" you prefer") and a Happy New Year, Winters-festival, Winter-Holidays. (My one gripe of my new job... their level of political correctness... Christmas? you mean the 'C' word! I'm Agnostic and I celebrate Christmas! don't get me even started on that :p)

Michele ;)

Just remember to some... you will be the good guy, to some the bad guy, you and your team can only manage one thing at a time. If in doubt say no, and tell most of the staff that the the last menu in almost EVERY program has the word HELP, that most are too lazy to be bothered with!!;)

Enjoy your break, and good luck with your new job!:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom