systems to control modern cars vulnerable to attack...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I believe the study was carried out by these guys, University of California San Diego and the University of Washington....

CAESS - Home

Haven't had a chance to read their full paper though.

Interesting article. Let's hope we never have to worry about it.

I might speculate by buying a few computer-less cars now before the hackers start!!

They inserted messages to CAN bus signalling. Was not explained in detail, likely intentionally but they must have been using a device connected to the OBDII port, there are wireless devices that can reach a near by car. But someone should first enter the car and install this device, anyone doing that could also damage brakes mechanically etc. Sounds a bit like they were just after publicity.

They inserted messages to CAN bus signalling. Was not explained in detail, likely intentionally but they must have been using a device connected to the OBDII port, there are wireless devices that can reach a near by car. But someone should first enter the car and install this device, anyone doing that could also damage brakes mechanically etc. Sounds a bit like they were just after publicity.

Yes, if I recall correctly it does state somewhere in there that everything they did was only via the OBD port. As you say to achieve any of this you would need access to the vehicle...

They are after publicity - they're presenting their paper tomorrow, still interesting. Worth looking at the full paper they wrote (linked to from the second post).

I would wonder if newer MB's are vulnerable via the mobile phones which interface with the car's instruments etc .

Command also uses GPS in some cases , so perhaps malicious signals could be introduced via the GPS receiver at short range , it would certainly be possible to 'fool' a GPS unit into thinking it was somewhere other than its actual position - going further down the line this might cause vehicles restricted to posted speed limits via GPS to slow down .

Thinking about that - it would probably be possible to send a jamming signal of some sort from the roadside to fool a Distronic equipped car into performing an emergency stop then ambushing it !

Hmmmm - electronics ? Think I'll stick with my older cars , on one of which the only piece of electronics is a radio based on thremionic valves !

How long before someone produces a locking plug for the OBD socket... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom