Sytner Group - Covid 19

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scooby_Doo

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Macan S
Extract from Email received today 17.30 from Sytner Group

For these reasons, the Board of Directors have taken the decision to close all Sytner Group showrooms to customers from close of business tomorrow, Tuesday 24th March.

Our workshops will however remain open until work already booked in is complete and will then support the sales teams to prepare purchased cars for delivery to our customers. Once this has been completed, our workshops will close to customers, with a number remaining open to support key workers

Yup, right after that email, I got a confirmation my "Service D" booked for Friday, the 27th is still a go.
A pack of disinfecting wipes, gloves and spray should take care of a courtesy car ...

What about parts departments? I have a few parts ordered and paid for from MB Newcastle who are a Sytner dealership.

Mine's booked in to Sinclair Group Swansea on the 8th April , B service ,can't see that going ahead.

New email from Sytner CEO Darren Edwards - all dealership closed with immediate effect, so they will only return cars to key workers, no new ones in, booked or now ... I guess I'll have to wait for this service, which is not a major concern anyway.

The MOT that was booked for 30th and due 07/04/2020 is, however.

I expect some exemption will be introduced, if the MOT station is shut, as non-essential service?

In HMG's guidance published here, whilst Car Showrooms are required to close, “garages” (which I interpret as workshops) are classed as an exception and can remain open.

Clearly the Sytner Group have chosen to close completely, as may other dealers (I had a note last night from North Oxford BMW to say that they are closing as of end of business today), but it appears that that is their decision rather than compulsion by HMG.

Reactions: GLK
One consequence of being unable to obtain an MOT for your car due to workshop closure would be the potential invalidation of the car's insurance policy. So at a criminal level the police might turn a blind eye-- will the insurance company in terms of the civil liability aspects of the policy?

Whilst somewhat ambiguous , I would think that "garages" means petrol stations ? The list on the BBC doesn't specifically say "garages".

My local Mercedes dealership which are part of www.group1auto.co.uk called earlier to say they are closing the workshop and will re-book the service once they re-open in x weeks where x is anyone's guess for now.

Sinclair MB cancelled mine today and asked if I wanted to re-book in three weeks time - there's always an optimist.

They were stating on BBC News that most MOT stations were open and staying open.

Worth checking first though I would think.

I was a bit surprised that the workshop is closed...people still need servicing done.... I am fortunate mine was done in Dec
Just had an MOT done today at halfords.

JCT have cancelled my service which was booked for the 8th.

Not too fussed as I won’t be using it anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom