T-Mobile. Scam?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

portzy

MB Enthusiast
Car
An SLK R171 with lots of toys and a Golf Plus for fishing.
OK. About 22 months ago I took out an 18 month web&walk 3g data card contract with T-Mobile. £20.00/month unlimited up/down fair usage etc.

The contract was up in July or so this year and being as I was happy with things I just let it run month per month but in August's statement from T-Mobile there was a paragraph thanking me for letting things stay as is and for that they would lower my bill to £15.00/month and I think, thats nice?

Today, having a wander around Bradford, I called into the TM shop and had a chat about my upgrade options, (fancying a decent 3g phone that can be used as a modem instead of the data card), only to be told that I had upgraded already and that my contract is now running until December 2009:eek:.

I tried to explain that I had not extended it in any way shape or form then they guardedly admitted to some 3rd parties getting hold of most, if not all, TM's customer data-base and running riot with it supposedly "selling" upgrades and contract extensions then pocketing the commision.

There was nothing that could be done in the shop, (I'm becoming incensed as you can imagine), I have to contact customer services which I did. To be fair, customer services were very good and talked me through a disclaimer over the phone. Said they will pass it to their fraud dept and I will hear something in ten or so days. It seemed to me that this wasnt the first time this has happened.

So, I'll have to wait and see. All I want really is the fraudulent contract making null and void so I'm back on to a rolling 30 days, have an upgrade to a SE C902, get back on a proper signed contract and bobs yer whatnot.

Still seething though:mad::mad::mad:.

Portzy.

had a similar experience with T-mobile where they set up a contract on my younger brothers name without him ever being with t-mobile?? eventually went through the fraud dept route and was finally rectified took 2 months and alot of calls. Hope all goes well for you Portzy. Just keep bugging them.

I dont trust T mobes, girlie is with them, she has had no recption and various phone issues with them since the start, rang up and complained and they said they would send out a new phone in an attempt to recify the situation, girlie opened the parcel and there is a letter saying thanks for renewing your contract, which she didnt agree to, she rang back to winge and they said they would send out a bag for the return of the phone and no probs, 10 days later no bag, another phone call bag now here but it is not good customer services,

I had a few problems with vodaphone when they transfered me from 02, they shut off my 02 number to port it to voda but never completed and left me without a phone, sim or an explaination, I was raging as I was inbetween contracts and looking for work and was uncontactable, started looking on the interent at phone providers and complaints procedues and my contract with them, clearly in the contract it states if we get it wrong you cant get compensation, looked at the other providers, (orange, tmobes, 02, 3 etc) and they are all just as bad with the same complaints being logged against all of them, none of them are good and none of them are to be trusted so you just have to go with the provider with the best reception in the postcodes you most go to and hope nothing goes wrong as none of them understand the meaning of customer services,

To be fair Mark, it would have been O2 that shut the number off, with VF would have been relying on receiving the port instructions in good time to ensure near-seamless coverage. It's a process that happens many times a day, every day, and sometimes it does go wrong - it is the one downside of porting a number across networks.

In an ideal world you would be able to set up the number on the new network, and once confirmed as up, shut down the old network, but this relies on the customer not using their phone during the process, otherwise it gets totally screwed up - which is inevitably not going to happen. Hence it's disconnect-move-reconnect.

Customer services is never perfect, everyone gets it wrong from time to time, but some are worse than others.

Portzy - that's a well known scam by unscrupulous dealers (the biggest of note being Communications Direct). It should be standard practice to return you back to your previous contract, and the operator will then take it up separately with the dealer.

Portzy - that's a well known scam by unscrupulous dealers (the biggest of note being Communications Direct). It should be standard practice to return you back to your previous contract, and the operator will then take it up separately with the dealer.

Phewww!, thanks for that, I'm a bit more relaxed now I've got it off my chest and a few experts like yourself have given it a look and some thought.

Now I have thought about it though, I did get some marketing stuff round about May time but none of the phones or prices appealed really and I wasnt in an up-grade frame of mind at the time any way. This was flyer type material and it did have T-Mobile logo's plastered all over it but there was something not quite right. I never gave it a second though, just binned it, and certainly never put pen to paper or phoned anyone.

Thanks though, feel happier now:) , just have to wait and see.

Portzy.

Phewww!, thanks for that, I'm a bit more relaxed now I've got it off my chest and a few experts like yourself have given it a look and some thought.

Now I have thought about it though, I did get some marketing stuff round about May time but none of the phones or prices appealed really and I wasnt in an up-grade frame of mind at the time any way. This was flyer type material and it did have T-Mobile logo's plastered all over it but there was something not quite right. I never gave it a second though, just binned it, and certainly never put pen to paper or phoned anyone.

Thanks though, feel happier now:) , just have to wait and see.

Portzy.

Portzy

You would probably be helping a lot of other people by contacting trading standards and the police about your experience and con.

Let the professionals deal with it, otherwise it will just go on and on and on....

Portzy

You would probably be helping a lot of other people by contacting trading standards and the police about your experience and con.

Let the professionals deal with it, otherwise it will just go on and on and on....

Thanks. I think I'll let TM customer services & fraud dept have a go first, they were very helpful, (it seemed), and they did say it would take a couple of weeks so if there's no joy after that I'll take it further as you advise. Oh, and also re-post again:).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom