T55 Bolt not coming out

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R129mine

Car
R129 SL500 from 96
I had to remove 8x T55 bolts from underside of the car and all were in a bad state but as Sod’s law dictates the last one won’t take the T55 bit. It is too far gone4F892AF0-6254-4E5F-A02C-282A3B8BA863.jpeg

what are my options. Take it to the local garage and let them have a go at it. £40 per hour and I reckon they have the tools and will do it in half an hour.

these things are fastened with thread locker and I needed lots of wd40 and a very long bar to remove them very slowly. The old cut a groove in it and use a screwdriver is not going to work here. Any other ideas?

If you have a mate with a welder get a large nut welded on the end of the bolt head and spanner it out👍
The heat will help to release it as well:)

If you have access to compressed air, then one of the most effective gadgets I've bought for the removal of stubborn fixtures is:

There are other types available but they all do essentially the same job.

You would not expect an air hammer to be the tool of choice for removing delicate fittings, but I've successfully removed tiny (7mm) badly seized brake bleed screws as well as larger bolts / nuts, so it is a pretty versatile tool. There are several examples on You Tube of these type of tools in use.

Sadly don’t know anyone with a welder nor compressed air. Will give local garage a call on Monday. They helped out with a stubborn wheel locking nut last year and it took them 30 mins. Will have to put all the struts back on for the 1/2 mile trip.

also found a mobile bolt removal company but I think I am outside their catchment area and if may end up costing silly money once time and travel cost is included.

That's a bit of a pain to have to reassemble things just to go down the road. It looks like it should be a 2 minute job for someone with the right tools, so hopefully you'll get it sorted out quickly and cheaply.

Dot punch the face between the points of the torx recess, then hammer the face directly with the flat of your hammer. You should need to hammer your torx bit in after. Often gets you a second chance

I would try as above. Flatten it back off and try again with some heat applied first to soften the threadlock. Keep dead straight on it when trying to undo, I suspect as you’re working off the floor the T55 bit leant over and cammed out as you struggled to get it to move?

First of all when you say WD 40, are you using the regular WD 40 or the penetrating oil equivalent.
Next I would hammer on the face of the stud which can help to release the corrosion which will be embedded within.
The methods mentioned above will also help. I’ve even used a cold chisel on the outer edge of similar mounts to get them released. If you do manage to move it a little give it another soak8ng with penetrant oil then tighten it back up then undo it again. Continue with this process until the stud moves freely.
Good luck 😉

Go and pop in to halfords and pick up a set of nut and bolt extractors, they are like a sockets but with more grip . Knock it on with an hammer then turn it out Then it will come out .

Ok. Result. It came out in no time.
  • bit more wd40 (generic type sorry. Penetrating one has been duly ordered)
  • A tap with a metal pin
  • Hammered t55 bit in with a hammer. Bit harder than last time and it just sunk in
  • Attached long bar and it just came
  • E50D80C3-3ECA-4A8E-A472-C9BFA62E923F.jpeg
  • May need to buy an new torx bit :)
  • B9431A77-AA9F-434C-AEBA-D4B83C856E96.jpeg

thanks for all the advice. Really great help and can now get in with the real job of cleaning up the underside of the car

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom