Tablet question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Darrell

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Back in Mill Hill but sometimes in Skiathos
Car
Gixxer 6, Citroen Berlingo, 911 C4S, Dacia Duster and lots of bicycles.
Just got a free Samsung s3 tablet with a puny 8gb memory. If I stick a 32gb sd card in the little slot, will this give me 40gb of memory?

Yes and no.

8gb is the internal memory and the 32gb will be on the card. 40 in total, but you can't store a 40gb file for example as its split.

Won't the operating system and other installed software take up part of the 8gb memory, leaving you with a little (or a lot) less?

Unless you're going to root and start messing with system files the sd card is only for media, all your apps and associated data have to live in the 8GBP which is more probably around 5 after what the system takes.

Don't forget to by a Class 6 or faster for smooth streaming. Some basic cards might give you the 'jitters & stuttering'.
I've got a 32gig Sandisk Ultra (Class 10) in mine and it's perfect.

Martin

Unless you're going to root and start messing with system files the sd card is only for media, all your apps and associated data have to live in the 8GBP which is more probably around 5 after what the system takes.

Woah, 5GB of apps!?! I thought I had a lot and they only take up 2GB!

Woah, 5GB of apps!?! I thought I had a lot and they only take up 2GB!

Easily exceeded with a few hefty games, it is a tablet after all, there's a lot out there well over a gig after the data download.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom