Tablet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Piff

MB Enthusiast
Car
Porsche Macan S
Current tablet is a windows 10 heap of sh!te and the only reason it survives is that I don't want to damage a wall when the tablet strikes.
So a new tablet is required. Bought SWMBO an 11" ipad last christmas and I'm quite impressed by it BUT, I'm not bothered by owning an Apple product.
So, what are the alternatives around that 11" size?

I can't deal with tablets very well, I like a keyboard, but I also like the touch screen facility that tablets have.

I also own nothing Apple at all, not for any reason specifically, It's just never appealed to me.

So I looked at 2 in 1 and 3 in 1 devices, things like the Surface pro.

I ended up with a Dell Inspiron 2 in 1 and it's been ideal. 2-in-1 laptops | Dell UK

Cannot think why an iPad does not appeal, at least it works, mine is over 5 years old , heavily used daily, would not want a keyboard and I love the Apps and functionality. Still each to their own, cannot get worked up about Apple and market dominance, at least my phone and iPad connect seamlessly

I'm not an die hard Apple fan, I use a windows laptop and Android phone, but don't think you can beat the iPad for a tablet. I've got a mini2 and Linda's got a 9.7" iPad 2017. V Happy with both.

Same here. I bought Mrs Ant an iPad 9.7" over 4 years ago. It's used by the whole family every day and never had one issue with it. I'm not sure what's not to like TBH.

I guess for me it's more to do with (intuitive) compatibility of MS products such as Word, Excel etc as I use mine for both personal and business.

Plus I often connect other devices using USB ports and use wired network connections for speed.

If you don't need any of this then I see the appeal of an ipad.

I have an Acer A3-A20 Android 10" tablet, which I use predominately as a device for song lyrics and playing my backing tracks for my guitar. Browsed the forums whilst away at a blues event last weekend, had it about a year and pleased with it.

if size is your only requirement, you have a huge selection.

I do think the Ipads are hard to beat as a package. It has a decent battery life, nice and bright screen, excellent multi-task performance and the build quality is second to none. This is coming from an Android fan.

I currently have the Samsung galaxy tab S2 (£399 last year) which is possibly the closest thing to Ipads running Android.

You need to work out whether you want Android or Apple OS and set a budget to narrow it down.

Alright, didn't want to make that comment first, but if you're impressed with the iPad, buy an iPad Pro and be happy with it. ?

ipad-pro-vs-macbook-angle.jpg

....... if you're impressed with the iPad, buy an iPad Pro and be happy with it. ?

Well, we've answered the original basic question about alternatives to an 11 inch tablet...But if you're going to spend ("splutter") £700 - £1000 on a tablet, the question really ought to be asked "what are you trying to do with it?"

As Red C220 suggests, bigger tablets compete with laptops. I only use a MacBook Pro (running MS Office), rather than a tablet. I'll only borrow a tablet for use out and about where a laptop seems intrusive.

We used to say that an iPad was a "Data Consumer's" device, while a laptop was for "Data Creators," but it's got a lot more complicated than that.

If you write / create content, a MacBook Air, for the same price, brings a lot of extra skills to the game, from downloading / watching films to office related work. Simple example, last night, in the course of an hour, I downloaded a recent movie, reorganised (FLAC-MP3 converted) some music to put on the chip in the car, whizzed around the usual websites, and then streamed an old movie ("Barefoot in the Park") by HDMI to the primitive TV in that flat that I'm using this week. All of which could be done by tablet, but not at the same speed.

So, 11 inch tablet: what are you hoping to do with it? Just a big Iphone, or what?

maxresdefault.jpg

if size is your only requirement, you have a huge selection.

I currently have the Samsung galaxy tab S2 (£399 last year) which is possibly the closest thing to Ipads running Android.

You need to work out whether you want Android or Apple OS and set a budget to narrow it down.

We bought the Galaxy S2 last year and we are very impressed with it, we both use Android'phones so we would not consider anything Apple. It is used by madam daily in place of a laptop and travels with us as entertainment on long journeys / flights and as our computer when planning days out etc on holiday.

The Galaxy is also lighter, better specified overall and far cheaper than the equivalent Apple product at the time we bought it.

Anyone that has used it has been impressed and one die hard Apple fan has now converted to Samsung.

I have no big aversion to Apple other than the premium price. The current tablet I have is used mainly for internet browsing in the evening (if & when it works:wallbash:)
So if a Samsung is reliable and cheaper than the equivalent ipad, I'll start my search there:thumb:

If the "requirement" is straightforward surfing, keep it simple and watch out for examples of last year's model on deals around the web.

Samsung are a great brand for non-Apple use. Others will no doubt chime in with model number and supplier recommendations

The benefit of Apple is about the apps, the reliability, the half a billion users, the iCloud, and the seamless integration between phone, tablet and laptop - none of which are relevant to you. As with Mercedes, don't pay for functionality you don't need: be it Nightvision or ventilated seats.

If you stay 12-24 months behind the latest model for phone & laptop, and it'll knock about three quarters off the cost of ownership. Even being just six months after a product launch can give you 20% off simple purchase price.

I'm an Apple user, and generally happy with it. If you stay away from the cutting edge stuff, the cost uplift isn't too bad and it's easy to use and reliable. Horses for courses, but I swapped my netbook for an iPad years ago and have never looked back. I wouldn't want to write an essay on it, though.. a physical keyboard is a necessity if I'm doing more than a paragraph or two.

Cheers,

Gaz

Had a quick look earlier on Curry's web site
Samsung S2 9.7" 32gb £399
IPad 9.7" 32gb £339
:dk:

Also look at the Apple site for "refurbished". I bought my iPad from there for an £80 saving on list price, it has a new case and battery and the same warranty as new. Stuff changes from day to day, so if you see something you fancy you'll have to snap it up quickly, but worth keeping an eye on.

Cheers,

Gaz

All those talking about iPads, remember you can pair any Bluetooth keyboard with any iPad/iPhone for when you want to write a fair bit.

There’s a decent one on amazon for a tenner.

Nooooo, not Currys (or PC World) - they're always the most expensive path.... Convenient & on the High Street, but 'Horribly overpriced, especially for bits n pieces....

Any student in full time education can get you 20% off retail prices, or Amazon and Ebay will produce 40% discounts if you buy the previous model.

Can't comment on Samsung models because I don't know them, but a brand new iPad 3 32gb can be picked up for £200.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom