Tactical Contact

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No criminals on scooters (some of them are 500cc !!) and there would be no need for any tactical intervention.

They get all they deserve.

I'm all in favour of it, but I'm very concerned that it's all very well showing a demonstration of the use of tactical contact, but how many officers will be prepared to do it in the real world, when they will no doubt be suspended and/or investigated afterwards?

It's all very well showing use of tactical contact, but how many officers will be prepared to do it, when they will no doubt be suspended and/or investigated afterwards?
Absolutely.

How will it go down when a copper knocks some innocent off his moped by mistake?

Not directly related, but.... when watching police chase programmes, I am often surprised at the lenient sentences handed down to the drivers once caught.

You would have thought that for a spectacular piece of bad driving, including high speed driving that puts both officers and the public at risk, jumping red lights, etc, plus the original offence that made them try and outrun police in the first place - e.g. driving while uninsured, disqualified, or over the limit etc (or all of the above), a custodial sentence will be mandatory. And yet... it isn't so.

The result is that trying to outrun police seems almost like a chance worth taking, even if the driver has not actually committed a serious crime.

Saw this on the news last night ... there are criteria that have to apply before they're allowed to do it (low speed etc.). The point made was that it poses less risk to the suspect than a prolonged chase, which generally results in them crashing into something.

I'm all in favour of it, but I'm very concerned that it's all very well showing a demonstration of the use of tactical contact, but how many officers will be prepared to do it in the real world, when they will no doubt be suspended and/or investigated afterwards?
Apparantly there have been over 60 incidents of tactical contact so far, so this is more than just a demonstration.

Not directly related, but.... when watching police chase programmes, I am often surprised at the lenient sentences handed down to the drivers once caught.

It is weird.

I would take the view that if a situation develops into a chase then there should be an severe increase in the range of penalties available *and applied*.

Consider that driving on an empty motorway in Scotland at over 100mph results in a dangerous driving charge and the possiblity of a custodial sentence - yet some scum can race about suburbia while being chased and putting the public at much higher risk and seems to get a smack on the wrist with the public no doubt picking up their legal bills.

Come on Dr no ones rising to the bate so reel it in,I suppose the ramming had to happen the moped riders were throwing away their crash helmets knowing the police would not continue to chase,for my money they are getting what they deserve,with or without a crash helmet.

I’m all for it, however, the biggest issue for me - what happens if someone is killed by this manoeuvre. Is that equal to manslaughter? If it’s a petty crime them that’s not right.

My guess would be death by misadventure
ENGLISH LAW
death caused by a person accidentally while performing a legal act without negligence or intent to harm.
"the coroner recorded a verdict of death by misadventure"

I’m all for it, however, the biggest issue for me - what happens if someone is killed by this manoeuvre. Is that equal to manslaughter? If it’s a petty crime them that’s not right.
If it’s a petty crime they should stop when required to by the police .

Driving in a reckless and dangerous manner to try to evade capture is not petty .

The result is that trying to outrun police seems almost like a chance worth taking, even if the driver has not actually committed a serious crime.
Watched something similar the other evening where the driver was perfectly legal but chose to run from the police anyway.....and crashed!

I blame Grand Theft Auto.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom