Tailgate S212

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

suty455

Car
E350 CDI
Hi all bit of a weird one this, my tailgate works fine it bings it rises smoothly and it stops at the top, the parcel shelf retracts etc no issues, however what it wont do is lower from either the fob or the door switch only from the red button on the tailgate, if I try the remote or the front door switch I can hear and see the lock make a small movement and a click, does this indicate an error or is it just in need of adjustment or lube? Is it a common fault with these and if so whats the solution? The alarm rearms fine when you close the tailgate as well

I have a 2016 S212, the tailgate will not close from the fob button only open, it will open automatically from the door switch by pulling the switch but to close you have to push the switch and hold it until it closes, if you let go of the switch whilst it is on the way down it will stop the closure operation.

Robin

I have a 2016 S212, the tailgate will not close from the fob button only open, it will open automatically from the door switch by pulling the switch but to close you have to push the switch and hold it until it closes, if you let go of the switch whilst it is on the way down it will stop the closure operation.

Robin
I think this is the way it works, you have to keep pulling the switch. I'm sure it is considered a safety feature so the boot doesn't close automatically on a small child's head.

yes this is the correct way it can also be done via the fob am told on most models however mine will not close from the fob or drivers door only from the red tailgate button, if i hold the door button forward I get a click from the latch but thats all same with the fob

this is how it should work
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

My 2011 will only close from the tailgate button. The car in the video is a left-hooker - I suspect different markets get different settings.

Pete

Tailgate button only for me on my 2010. I wish it would close from the interior button, that would be very handy!

On my S212 for tailgate closure the door button needs to be pressed and held for few seconds but I don't think it's possible to close it with fob. Of course the red tailgate button for closing.

ok thanks all it seems the door button should work what am going to do is RTFM because am a typical Male and know how it all works anyway! will get it out the glovebox later and check it:)

On my 2011 S212....To close tailgate via, door switch.

Turn ignition key to either Position 1 or 2 then push forward the tailgate switch in drivers door.

The remote fob only opens tailgate on mine.

Last edited:
Update on mine - it does close from the door button, when the ignition is at position 1 or 2, as per Robin's reply above.

Pete
Thanks all when it returns from the Bodyshop tomorrow after its respray I will test it

Reactions: AW8
Well just goes to show that after 5 years of ownership I can still learn something new about my car! Will try the interior button later as I thought that it only opened the tailgate but did not close it.

Well just goes to show that after 5 years of ownership I can still learn something new about my car! Will try the interior button later as I thought that it only opened the tailgate but did not close it.
if it makes you feel any better.....another Merc owner prior told me about internal button closure.

And it works! Hold the button in the door when the engine or ign is on and it closes, still a shame it wont do it from the fob but being truthfull you would be stood there anyway, just got used to it on my Subaru which does have it on the fob

Works for me too! Many thanks for the tip, folks. It seems I’ve been trying it all these years only when the ignition was off and so I supposed it didn’t work...

Well it works a treat, every day is a school day! Thanks again for the tip

Tailgate button only for me on my 2010. I wish it would close from the interior button, that would be very handy!

The hatch on my 2010 can be closed on the tailgate button and on the door button.

Works for me too! Many thanks for the tip, folks. It seems I’ve been trying it all these years only when the ignition was off and so I supposed it didn’t work...

I only found out when someone on here told me.

Listen, I owned a 211 for 7 years without knowing it had an aux in in the glovebox. I sold it to a forum member who immediately got Bluetooth music streaming set up.

Oh FFS.......

Listen, I owned a 211 for 7 years without knowing it had an aux in in the glovebox. I sold it to a forum member who immediately got Bluetooth music streaming set up.

Oh FFS.......
Makes me feel better!

And reminds me that I’m sure I learned about the glove box aircon vent from you too. These cars have lots of surprises.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom