Tailored luggage for an R230

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Giantvanman

MB Enthusiast
Car
FFRR 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography
I have looked at the few threads on here relating to model specific luggage but they are either too old or inconclusive in relation to "Roadsterbags."
Mercedes - Roadsterbag Convertible Cases

With the imminent arrival of our SL, my thoughts are turning to trips away. As some have pointed out, soft luggage is easy to pack but to me at least, the tailored sets use all the available space anyway……..I think I would want to leave the shelf behind the seats free so am discounting the hideously expensive for what it is MB luggage.

Has anyone bought from this company recently or can comment on the quality of the luggage? It isn't expensive for the set (circa £170) but would like to be assured it is reasonable quality.

Thanks in advance.

Hello, I bought this set about 7 or 8 years ago for my SL, circa £170 as you say, and I am very happy with the quality. I also have the Mercedes case for the rear bench, but don't use it so much as I do the cases - they hold a lot of stuff.
I bought these Roadster cases hoping they would be "OK" but I must say they better than just OK, they really are very nice indeed. One under the boot mat, and the two on either side on the mat - perfect fit and maximises the space in the boot.
I am still very happy that I bought them.

Many thanks; that is reassuring.

Besides the cost of the behind the seat bag and it being so long and thin, I can't visualise what it would be good for……….dresses, trousers? Is it semi-rigid?

In relation to the cases (and please excuse the apparently stupid question), am I correct in thinking the one that goes under the boot mat goes in place of the spare wheel? From my cursory glance there for water ingress, there was also lots of other gubbins as well as a battery in their.

Last edited:
Yes, the bench bag is semi-rigid, and it can take a fair amount of stuff...I bought mine new on Ebay for £110, but I know I got a bargain. That said, if I didn't have it, I wouldn't miss it...
The cases are much more practical. The one that goes under the mat does indeed go where the spare wheel would be; I have the early version of the R230 which did not come with a spare wheel, but with a carpeted "liner" which the case fits into perfectly, then the boot mat sits on top.

Last edited:
I see. There is no liner under our boot mat (2011 model- 2008 facelift) so everything in view. And a spare wheel which I would want to keep to be honest. I think I will drop the company a line to see if there are other buying options.
Thanks for the help.

Edit; I am torn about the behind the seat bag. It seems it could be useful but the asking prices are too high at the moment for the gamble. I will watch out on Ebay and if one comes up at a reasonable price, I will probably have it anyway.

I have a full set of Roadster Bags and have not as yet used the behind the seats bag.

The quality is good.

I have a spare wheel so the small ''third'' over night bag sits neatly above the twin suit cases providing that none of them are ''bulging full''.

Mic

I have a full set of Roadster Bags and have not as yet used the behind the seats bag.

The quality is good.

I have a spare wheel so the small ''third'' over night bag sits neatly above the twin suit cases providing that none of them are ''bulging full''.

Mic

That's good to know, thank you. Probably a daft question but would I be right in assuming that mens the inner lid would have to be open/put back to accommodate?

The luggage looks well made might look at a set for the CLK....what SL did you get in the end?

Tony.

R230 350, registered September 2011. Iridium? silver, 19,000 miles, one owner. Collecting Thursday but as raining from then until doomsday, pictures will follow in due course.

R230 350, registered September 2011. Iridium? silver, 19,000 miles, one owner. Collecting Thursday but as raining from then until doomsday, pictures will follow in due course.

Can you do a review after a few weeks of ownership as i might be looking along the same lines at a later date what put you off the 500?

Tony.

When my wife bought her SLK, I looked at the Roadsterbag cases and concluded that they were good quality and others on this forum who had them confirmed that. However, in the end we bought the Mercedes-Benz hold-all which has been great.

I know this is to some extent a personal thing, but having spent many years touring on motorcycles where luggage space is at a premium, I've found that soft bags inside a hard pannier or car boot are much more space efficient and versatile than tailored hard cases. The hard cases look chic but no matter how well they're designed, they waste space because they won't squash into the irregular small gaps that soft luggage will.

Angie and I have done 3-week trips in her SLK - with the top down and no luggage overspill in the passenger compartment - without skimping on clothing. Our technique is to pack only what we need in soft luggage and to use the hotel laundry service when necessary.

Can you do a review after a few weeks of ownership as i might be looking along the same lines at a later date what put you off the 500?

Tony.

Certainly can. I could always bring it over to Bluewater or alternative venue. The only reason for us not buying the 500 was the ABC system. Although perfectly able to service/repair/replace lots of the system, just the sheer cost of the parts put us off. One forum member had done a considerable amount of research and basically a cheap fix was about £1300 a corner whilst and expensive fix could be £4k. Then there is the dual pump………..

Had we still been working, we may well have gone for it but this is not the time to commit to potentially expensive repairs when there are many other things to have fun with. The Tier 1 for the 500 was also a LOT more than the 350.

When my wife bought her SLK, I looked at the Roadsterbag cases and concluded that they were good quality and others on this forum who had them confirmed that. However, in the end we bought the Mercedes-Benz hold-all which has been great.

I know this is to some extent a personal thing, but having spent many years touring on motorcycles where luggage space is at a premium, I've found that soft bags inside a hard pannier or car boot are much more space efficient and versatile than tailored hard cases. The hard cases look chic but no matter how well they're designed, they waste space because they won't squash into the irregular small gaps that soft luggage will.

Angie and I have done 3-week trips in her SLK - with the top down and no luggage overspill in the passenger compartment - without skimping on clothing. Our technique is to pack only what we need in soft luggage and to use the hotel laundry service when necessary.

I know exactly where you're coming from as an ex-biker who has packed bikes for holidays many times. You are quite right in what you say about utilising all the nooks and crannies but what appeals about this 'system' is the simplicity.
By that I mean, Mrs GVM, that's your case, it can't be bulging. This is mine. The third one can be overspill. We can have no more than that, not even a "Waffer thin mint". That and only having three bags to carry and I know they fit.

Laundry service; pretty good idea but they charge more when they see the size of my clothes:eek: It would be like ironing Billy Smart's tent.

Last edited:
I do like the SL and have been looking at the XKR convertible too....still i have time to narrow down the choices.
Look forward to seeing it at Bluewater or Benz on the green if you are going.

Tony.

I do like the SL and have been looking at the XKR convertible too....still i have time to narrow down the choices.
Look forward to seeing it at Bluewater or Benz on the green if you are going.

Tony.

I haven't put my name down for BotG because of uncertainty around commitments. About time we had another Bluewater meet (or other suitable venue, of course).

The XKR wasn't a contender for us; my wife refused to have a soft top despite all reassurances.

I have a 2006 SL350 and this year went on a six week European tour so needed to cram as much in as possible. The space behind the seats seemed too good to waste so I bought a cricket duffle bag for about £30. Worked a treat.

I have a 2006 SL350 and this year went on a six week European tour so needed to cram as much in as possible. The space behind the seats seemed too good to waste so I bought a cricket duffle bag for about £30. Worked a treat.
Hi Colinfoot, Any chance you can give me the route you did in Europe. We are planning to do this and would like to spend at least 6 to 8 weeks away. Would appreciate any help we can get on the itinerary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom