Tainted Water

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BMF

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
C220 (W205) 2015 Bluetec Sport Premium Plus
Here's a strange one.
I live in East Devon and here we come under SW Water. Occasionally our drinking water would have a tainted, chemical kind of taste, SW Water have said that our water may from time to time have a taste to it from the chlorine additive dosed at the treatment plant. We have used a filter jug/kettle which seems to have rectified this. We recently purchased a new Bosch washing machine to replace the old Bosch that gave up the ghost. Old machine out and new one in, the new one came with a new connection hose which I used to replace the old one. We started to notice that our water had a stronger tainted taste to it, a kind of TCP/antiseptic like taste. This has gone on for a couple of weeks so I do a little Google research and on SW Water's site they say it can be cause by plumbing alterations and washing machine hoses. So me being a clever **** dismiss the washing machine hose theory , How can water travel back from what is ostensibly a dead length of pipe unless the machine is running and how does that taint the water for the kitchen tap (washing machine is in the kitchen). SW Water suggest changing the stop valve that feeds the machine to a stop valve with a built in check valve (non-return valve), the little ones with the blue lever on top. Still on convinced, I go to Screwfix and part with £3.79p and buy this valve, I get home fit the valve and change the hose back to the old hose from the old machine and 'Hey Presto' no more tainted water! Coincidentally the new hose from the new machine absolutely stinks of TCP/antiseptic so that is going in the bin.

Sorry that this is a long winded thread but just a cautionary tail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom