Take an old factory standard W210 & put her on a Dyno....results..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

billywhiz

Car
E55
Not bad for an old girl :cool: -
rollingroad.jpg

You're saying that this car is stock , no mods , nothing and it is putting out 40 bhp more than it was rated to when new ?

Hard to believe.

Have you owned the car since day 1 ?

Just find it extremely difficult to believe that it was C 360bhp from the factory , and as cars get older , they tend to lose a bit of hp.

Yet yours has gained 40+ bhp in the intervening decade ?

Dyno calibrated ?

No I'm the 2nd owner (99 plate) meticulous maintained ) Company directors car
) and I've had her 7 months now.

As far as I know dyno all calibrated correct they don't seem a company to misrepresent figures and other cars were putting out what owners reckoned.

To answer your 2nd & 3rdQ - Don't know

Just thought I'd try her and see what result was. As pic above, no other mods - just felt quite pleased with result. ;O)

So you should be ! :)

I'd be surprised if it was correct though :eek:

I rekon thats right. Every car i've ever seen on a dyno always put out more power than the standard factory spec, but yours is quite a bit outside standard spec :)

Its a nice feeling to know you have something stronger than what it should be on paper ;)

To make 100% sure you could dyno it on a different dyno, but I wouldn't be surprised if it produce very close to 400bhp again

cant be right, taking into account that it is knocking out more power than new and this power reading is presumably taken from the back wheels, so you have to factor in transmission losses as well. Also older engines tend to lose hp as said earlier

Looks like dyno is 25-30%% out in my estimation. Additionally most 'book' hp readings nowadays are taken when the engine is not driving any peripherals such as water pumps, power steering pumps, alternator etc etc So taking this into account, when the car was new you would be unlikely to see much more than around 310hp at the rear wheels.

Proof would be to take it somewhere else for a second opinion

^^ Reckon thats the best way to find out - the torque, lb-ft seems high too ?

Yeah it does seem alot higher overall than standard, but I wouldn't think the dyno is wrong because of it. Dont these cars put out ~400ftlbs as standard (394 from memory?)

On saying that, your torque curve isn't very smooth either. But don't get too caught up in these things or you'll give yourself a headache! (Which I do quite often)

Torque probably isn't that far out ( they were 510+ Nm in the CLK55 , the E55 had a slightly higher output ) from new which is 375 ish ft/lb ( CLK figs again )

BHP is wrong though , guaranteed.

I assume they have back calculated the bhp at the flywheel from the bhp at the wheels. Allowing for a margin of error, not necessarily accurate dyno and different conversion ratios wheel to flywheel and you could be a long way adrift on a large number.

FWIW my 02 was dynoed by the guy who mapped it hopelessly to start with, and it was reading 15bhp more than the first dyno run with the new mappers I used before they did anything.

Don't AMG always underestimate the power outputs on their engines from new anyway?

No I'm the 2nd owner (99 plate) meticulous maintained ) Company directors car
) and I've had her 7 months now.

As far as I know dyno all calibrated correct they don't seem a company to misrepresent figures and other cars were putting out what owners reckoned.

To answer your 2nd & 3rdQ - Don't know

Just thought I'd try her and see what result was. As pic above, no other mods - just felt quite pleased with result. ;O)

Very nice. Previous owner done a re-map perhaps and kept quiet about it?

Upping the power output doesn't nessecarily mean the limiter has been removed.

That can't be standard, my friend has a 2001 E55 which has had a decent remap and that managed 388bhp on the dyno. (AFTER THE MAP)

you must have some headers and a remap, I know these 55's tend to push more than factory figures but not by that much.

nice power though:D:rock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom