Take the long way, its FUN, especially when you have a Merc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

st4

Banned
Car
C220cdi tourer
I decided now I am back in the shed, and I had not seen Greig (some of you have met him at a couple of the Scottish GTGs) that a boozy weekend at his in Aberdeen was in order.

But this is me, and this is him. It would be FAR to boring for me to drive up there on the DCW so we hatched a cunning plan. A late luncheon in Aviemore.

My route followed the A82 up via Glen Coe.

DSC_0211.jpg

DSC_0216.jpg

View over Rannoch Moor

221-223HDR.jpg

As you can see the “shed” is looking good.

DSC_0220.jpg

Funnily enough, I saw a lovely dark blue SEC coupe coming the other way, it had an MB related plate. Jay Manek, was this you, I know you were here. Anyway, the fat bloke with the skipped cap that came round the bend who flashed his lights and waved at you, that was me.

This road is actually best tackled South to North, I must appologise for NOT directing the Scottish tour people this way.

DSC_0233.jpg

I didn’t have the time to tackle the brilliant Kinlochleven road, so after a quick stop in Ft William I was underway again.

DSC_0241.jpg

224-246HDR.jpg

249-251HDR.jpg

After this, I headed up the A82 to Invergarry, and took the A86 that takes you to Newtonmore, Kinguissie and then it becomes the old A9.

This is a brilliant driving road and usually fairly quiet. Better still, you get to observe the transition from west coast highland scenery to Cairngorm.

Further along Loch Laggan is where the “Monarch of the Glen” TV series was filmed. Sometimes, driving the Mercedes, I feel like that such is the luxury, comfort and power on offer.

DSC_0252.jpg

The Dam at Laggan was on full flow.

DSC_0257.jpg

After arriving in Aviemore, Greig and I met, had dinner at the “Winking Owl” Pub. I’ve always fancied taking in the Tomintoul road, Greig knows this extremely well so we agreed I would follow him into Aberdeen taking in this road, over the Lecht and turning onto the A93 near Braemar.

Here we are both parked up just passed the Lecht

DSC_0270.jpg

DSC_0281.jpg

The scenery here is a lot bleaker, however, it means you can see for MILES.

267-269HDR2.jpg

272-274HDR2.jpg

After getting into Aberdeen after a delightful 6 hours driving, Greig and I drank like drains, ate like kings, and then it was homeward bound, alas by the quick way.

But look

DSC_0283.jpg

Not bad, the drive up was 40mpg and the whole trip accomplished on half a tank of diesel, that’s just under £60 excluding snacks.

I am EXTREMELY glad to be back in the “shed” and she is doing what she does best, putting a smile on my face mile after mile and taking me about in comfort and safety.

[FONT=&quot]Oh, it got a compliment when I stopped off for a snack, the fella [/FONT] was saying what lovely condition it was in and what a lovely design of car….I agree!!!

^ You would never see those figures in an AMG :)

so the same trip £120 ?

Would it be twice the fun?

^ You would never see those figures in an AMG :)

so the same trip £120 ?

Would it be twice the fun?

Never, these figures are actually better than my old E220cdi but if you can afford an AMG then cost of fuel is something you cease to consider.

Although I have slowed down and really didn't push the car at all. But I didn't want to, I had the window down, fresh air coming in, I was just cruising along. It would drop into the mid 30's if I went quick, but in an AMG or big petrol, it would drop to the teens.

At this is the crux I guess. Greigs golf averaged about 48mpg, me around 40mpg. Cost wise over a big trip, its like a fiver. This is not an expensive car to run, an AMG or big petrol engine, I would have to cut back the trips.

This is probably my last "big FUN drive" for 2011. Weatherwise things will deteriorate, work aren't authorizing more holidays until Xmas so this was it.

PS for those keen on another driving trip I definitely have the route mapped out now:thumb:;):D

I do know someone who drives and AMG. He says that the cost of a litre of fuel is just "a pin number to pleasure"

I do know someone who drives and AMG. He says that the cost of a litre of fuel is just "a pin number to pleasure"

Another quote was

"if you have to ask what the fuel consumption of the E55AMG is, it is not the car for you"....

Stonking engines and having had the pleasure and privilege of driving one, one hell of a performance car and a whole lot of joy....

I agree these cars are awesome for what they do and the MPG you can achieve....However...

"if you can afford an AMG then cost of fuel is something you cease to consider"

This I don't agree with as many of us on here could afford an AMG but the fuel is something to consider. I don't do many miles but filling it up and watching the needle fall if your getting 18 - 20mpg does get to people as your parting with the money each and everytime you fill.

I would think many AMG owners do very few miles and it WILL probably in the back of their mind be annoying the fact that they constantly need to look for stations :)

Don't get me wrong if I could, I would run one but I would have to get my head round this to enjoy the car, buying it is the easy bit.

I've been looking at this on piston heads :) my old boss had a E55 of the same, awesome car but that showed 14 / 16 mpg an awful lot... (town and short runs)

e63.jpg

£30K what could be better for a family car :)

ALEXANDERS PRESTIGE : MERCEDES-BENZ E CLASS E63 K 6.2 AMG ESTATE TIP AUTO MASSIVE SPEC

I agree these cars are awesome for what they do and the MPG you can achieve....However...

"if you can afford an AMG then cost of fuel is something you cease to consider"

This I don't agree with as many of us on here could afford an AMG but the fuel is something to consider. I don't do many miles but filling it up and watching the needle fall if your getting 18 - 20mpg does get to people as your parting with the money each and everytime you fill.

I would think many AMG owners do very few miles and it WILL probably in the back of their mind be annoying the fact that they constantly need to look for stations :)

Don't get me wrong if I could, I would run one but I would have to get my head round this to enjoy the car, buying it is the easy bit.

I've been looking at this on piston heads :) my old boss had a E55 of the same, awesome car but that showed 14 / 16 mpg an awful lot... (town and short runs)

e63.jpg

£30K what could be better for a family car :)

ALEXANDERS PRESTIGE : MERCEDES-BENZ E CLASS E63 K 6.2 AMG ESTATE TIP AUTO MASSIVE SPEC

Thats a lovely motor.

I know there is a convenience issue re filling up a lot, even if a low miles driver....

But, and this is where the cost thing is forgotten, when you hear it make its noise, you feel the quality interior, the way AMG have made the car ride better and handle better, and improved the seating, the AMG owner will probably say, sod the cost, they want the car, even if it costs £120 to fill it and you do that every week as opposed to every second week. So what? An extra 20mins at the fuel pump and £240pm to fill it. To someone who buys that sort of car new, that £240 is probably just a meal out for two with a bottle of wine....

The CLS55 I was leant, it took onboard fuel at Ft William and again Nr Inverness. Everyone only put fuel in once on the trip. One extra stop, the AMG driver will say the pleasure outweighs the cost and inconvenience and to hell with it and/or are prepared to make the sacrifices to have it.

I am not in the position to that or even think like that but a few lucky few are, and for that, they are truly blessed.

However, when it is all said and done the car I have is also truly special and has given me so many happy memories and trips, that I feel blessed just to have the car I have and to have the time to go driving on the roads I do.

Last edited:
Shude, forum member on here has seen 30MPG from his AMG. I could live with that, just. As a weekend car.

^ Sound yes 100%

Which is why my old boss got so little MPG he used to floor it down slip roads or any straight bit of country road :)

When you change the Shed for an AMG I'm sure your drives such as above will get less :(

That E63 estate looks quick stood still, great looking car.

Anyway back on thread. I enjoy your road trips so keep the Shed and keep doing them.

Shude, forum member on here has seen 30MPG from his AMG. I could live with that, just. As a weekend car.

You have to nurse it to do that, or take a gentle long mway haul....

On that basis, I'd see 50mpg deploying a hypermiling technique. Actually, got it to 52mpg which makes it mirco sized hatch back efficient just cruising along at 55mph.

Your average about 18-25mpg in it and thats not too bad actually, well thats what I reckon a CLK55 would do easily enough

You have to nurse it to do that, or take a gentle long mway haul....

On that basis, I'd see 50mpg deploying a hypermiling technique. Actually, got it to 52mpg which makes it mirco sized hatch back efficient just cruising along at 55mph.

Your average about 18-25mpg in it and thats not too bad actually, well thats what I reckon a CLK55 would do easily enough

Good job I live virtually next door to a petrol station then!!

Edit.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2000-MERC...8121517?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3f0e04972d

Last edited:
^ Sound yes 100%

Which is why my old boss got so little MPG he used to floor it down slip roads or any straight bit of country road :)

Yep, I did that in Seans!!!

I used to do it in the "shed" once the turbo was on song, its amusing how quickly they get to speeds one must not say.

When you change the Shed for an AMG I'm sure your drives such as above will get less :(

Anyway back on thread. I enjoy your road trips so keep the Shed and keep doing them.

Thats the bit, I am not prepared to cut back on driving to have a car like that or make any other cut backs etc, if I get promoted/change jobs etc, maybe then I will consider one....

So, the shed does stay, and for next year, I have many trips up my sleeve already. Even still, between someone hitting the shed, and me getting her painted, and all the money me and the warranty have spent, it goes nowhere....:D

Good job I live virtually next door to a petrol station then!!

Cheapest one, did I tell you on the way back from Cornwall James and I filled the shed, and timed it so we'd be on fumes for arriving there. Would have saved a tenner + over using the Mway services.

AMGs are only thirsty if you flex your right foot and often.

my 208 CLK 55 would regularly do 27mpg on long journeys

the CLS55 gets about 24mpg on long journeys (per recent trips to Stuttgart and Scotland)

AMGs are only thirsty if you flex your right foot and often.

my 208 CLK 55 would regularly do 27mpg on long journeys

the CLS55 gets about 24mpg on long journeys (per recent trips to Stuttgart and Scotland)

24mpg is thirsty, on long gentle journeys I nearly double it....

Its a job jump away, and I haven't heard re that one I put on for yet.

BTW, next years route, its definitely decided and its got hardly any single track stuff in it...

The road over to Tomintoul, you're going to love it!!!

BTW, next years route, its definitely decided and its got hardly any single track stuff in it...

The road over to Tomintoul, you're going to love it!!!

Going to B&B it next year keep costs down a bit.

Yes that was me... what a road that is up over Glen Coe.... fantastic driving territory for the SEC...

Nice to see the 'shed' on some real roads and returning a sensible mpg;)
The only reason I could not bring myself to get a CLS AMG is that I would have to stop twice as often for fuel.
The current 'slippery shed' has returned this figure for the whole my summer motoring. Not so many long journeys this year as I have been working closer to home and even had to go inside the M25 on occasions:eek:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom