takeaways

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nick mercedes

MB Enthusiast
Car
Ford Expedition
So it turns out you can judge the quality of an area by the number of takeaways.

"Guardian analysis shows that the poorest areas of the country have disproportionately higher numbers of fast food outlets. Among the worst affected are northern cities such as Manchester and Leeds, low-income boroughs of London and seaside resorts in the south of England."

https://www.theguardian.com/inequal...-food-england-how-many-takeaways-are-near-you

Nonsense or?

So it turns out you can judge the quality of an area by the number of takeaways.

"Guardian analysis shows that the poorest areas of the country have disproportionately higher numbers of fast food outlets. Among the worst affected are northern cities such as Manchester and Leeds, low-income boroughs of London and seaside resorts in the south of England."

Probably partly correct, but a bit of a sweeping statement. I would disagree that its just the poorest parts though.
Bournemouth and Poole, neither I would class as particularly low income areas, have plenty of takeaways.
Gone are the days when a takeaway was a cheap option of eating. Fish and Chips for two is well over £10 here.:wallbash:

I'd say we live in a fairly poor village. Around 1900 people and only 1 takeaway. It's a Chinese, one of the best we've ever used. (Used to live in Manchester where there were many)

However, we still only use it about once every 6 weeks.

At least Chinese takeaways often have some humours names.

'Wok this way' is one of my favourites.

Love this sign. :D

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    76.2 KB · Views: 39
Saw this thread before i left for work tonight , on the way in along a mile of Paisley Road i counted 20 of varying types all open and almost all empty.

On the subject of names , there is a take-a-way in Belfast called Tanic and you dont need to be Einstein to wok out what kind it is -- Thai-Tanic. -- http://thai-tanic.com/menu.html

Kenny

Last edited:

https://www.theguardian.com/inequal...-food-england-how-many-takeaways-are-near-you

Nonsense or?

I can hardly compare my own observations with the Guardian survey but there are a high number of takeaway outlets in the centre of Southampton (a very built up area of Victorian or older dwellings), similar also in the centre of Salisbury and also in many parts of central Bristol where there are a high number of students and generally poorer communities.

I imagine like most surveys the answers are more complex, students rarely cook meals as we know it, the truly poor people probably cannot afford to eat takeaway food often and many of our population that migrated here have much more of a culture of cooking and eating as a family.

Often people on the start of the housing ladder start of in the poorer communities because it is where they can afford but although "relatively" wealthy by comparison are time poor and use takeaways more?

I live in a **** hole and there has to be at least 15 takeaway places withing a 5 minute drive so must be true lol.

Yes it is true.

It's simply the density of people. The densest places are typically poorer places. That density makes takeaways profitable.

It's not a correlation between poor people and buying takeaways, it's just the nature of densely populated places.

As is the same in all major cities, Leeds has a high density of fast food (chicken mainly) outlets in various areas.

Wonder how they make money with so much competition???!!! :dk:

One can only speculate......

Nonsense or?

No, that's quite true. In principal anyway.

Some 20 years ago my job in marketing at the time included going through demographics report based on the Retail in the area.

There's quite a lot of data out there - linking Retail shops to residential demographics - which marketers use all the time.

I vaguely remember that poorer areas had a higher concentration of shops selling food and house-hold detergents. Does this mean the poor people eat more, but at the same time wash their clothes more often and keep their houses cleaner? No idea.

But yes, there's a statistical link between shops and demographics - it's a known fact.

For example, this is from America:

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/15332640.2010.522890

'Results showed that tracts with lower median household income and higher percentages of minority residents had greater densities of tobacco-selling retail outlets'

So... if you have a product to sell to minorities on below-average income, then look for areas with lots of tobacco shops, and open your retail outlets there... simple.

Why minorities on below-average income smoke more than other groups, I don't know.

No, that's quite true. In principal anyway.

Some 20 years ago my job in marketing at the time included going through demographics report based on the Retail in the area.

There's quite a lot of data out there - linking Retail shops to residential demographics - which marketers use all the time.

I vaguely remember that poorer areas had a higher concentration of shops selling food and house-hold detergents. Does this mean the poor people eat more, but at the same time wash their clothes more often and keep their houses cleaner? No idea.

But yes, there's a statistical link between shops and demographics - it's a known fact.

Clearly there is.

We have two tesco stores within three miles. One of them is in a heavily populated area of Asian / migrants and the other isn't .

They sell very different stuff accordingly.

many of our population that migrated here have much more of a culture of cooking and eating as a family.

This isn't necessarily the case.

When I've been in Asia it's been the habit to go out and get food at stalls - either as the whole meal or part of it.

And back in the days when I was young we'd be sent to get chips to go with whatever our meal was.

The 'cooking' part isn't necessarily part of eating as a family.

Yes it is true.

It's simply the density of people. The densest places are typically poorer places. That density makes takeaways profitable.

It's not a correlation between poor people and buying takeaways, it's just the nature of densely populated places.

I live in a not poor area with adjacent poor areas.

We have more sit-in restaurants. They have more takeaways.

People cross in either direction to get food from one type of outlet or the other - and a proportion of the takeways do deliveries and cover our area.

I think population density is one factor, as are the local socio-economic aspects, but also there is the issue of critical mass. Once you get a few varieties of restaurant or a few varieties of takeaway then they don't necessarily just compete but also attract custom as a whole.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom